• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

SII LS/J3300 2019

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bil4381

I had just two snags over the winter. With the Aeroinjector on the Jabiru 3300 I wanted the correct pressure fuel pump which is 0-2 psi. That was done monday. Because the aeroinjector has built in fuel shutoff and mixture control, I wanted the EGT to work. The probe apparently was broken but I installed a new one today. Tested it with a tiny flame and it works. All that remains is to rig it and close the cowlings.
Never had both my planes ready to fly in April before. it was 70F today though snow still cover some shady spots.
The airport I'm based at is turf so it needs a week or two more to firm up.
All this is to say to you builders, The days does come when the work is done and flying lies ahead. I hope we all have many years of flying.
Bill E

I made a new cowling for the J3300 over last 3 weeks of C19 lockdown. Fitted it yesterday. Still work to do but it fits.

Wow - a cowling in 3 weeks! That's a real achievement. Your first post mentions installing a 0-2 psi pump. What kind of pump did you install? Is it a Facet cube pump? Have not been able to find Facet part number 40298 in Australia so am currently using a 4 psi pump with an automotive pressure regulator to reduce the pressure. Would prefer to use a lower pressure pump for the Aeroinjector on my J3300 if I can find one. Harry A

I contacted Carter and they say they have such a pump, 0-2psi or 0-,5 psi. I like Carter pumps because they are rotary and seem to last. I have a box of say 6 facet pumps that either failed or had pressure problems.

Wow - a cowling in 3 weeks! That's a real achievement. Your first post mentions installing a 0-2 psi pump. What kind of pump did you install? Is it a Facet cube pump? Have not been able to find Facet part number 40298 in Australia so am currently using a 4 psi pump with an automotive pressure regulator to reduce the pressure. Would prefer to use a lower pressure pump for the Aeroinjector on my J3300 if I can find one. Harry A

Attachments

• 20200530_145043[1].jpg
    20200530_145043[1].jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 83
re cowling, I used the old cowlings to make a male plug, wrapped it in Freeman's sheet wax ($100) AND LAID-UP THE new cowling. The plug is undamaged. Photo is of the second layer of 18oz cloth being applied.
Bill

I contacted Carter and they say they have such a pump, 0-2psi or 0-,5 psi. I like Carter pumps because they are rotary and seem to last. I have a box of say 6 facet pumps that either failed or had pressure problems.

Attachments

• cowling4208.jpg
    cowling4208.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 52
Thanks to everyone for the kind comments. I don't recall whether I posted the link to the Youtube video of the test flight, but here it is, possibly again. I hope someone is encouraged to keep building their Sonerai.

Bill

A new cowling in three weeks? You da man! Congratulations, Bill. Woulda taken me three years.

Ed

Thanks for the info on Carter fuel pumps. Will be interested to see your comments on how the pump performed after you get back into the air. I saw today that there is a K&N pump that also has 1-2 psi and will deliver 15 gph. Any comments on K&N pumps?

I had just two snags over the winter. With the Aeroinjector on the Jabiru 3300 I wanted the correct pressure fuel pump which is 0-2 psi. That was done monday. Because the aeroinjector has built in fuel shutoff and mixture control, I wanted the EGT to work. The probe apparently was broken but I installed a new one today. Tested it with a tiny flame and it works. All that remains is to rig it and close the cowlings.
Never had both my planes ready to fly in April before. it was 70F today though snow still cover some shady spots.
The airport I'm based at is turf so it needs a week or two more to firm up.
All this is to say to you builders, The days does come when the work is done and flying lies ahead. I hope we all have many years of flying.
Bill E
I'm looking for the document that covers assembling and rigging the Sonerai II after trailing behind a car.
Please let me know if you have it.
BillE

Back