• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Sonerai 1 Ground Handling

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scootjam

Hi to readers of this thread. I recently purchased Sonerai 1 plans. However, in discussion with an experienced builder
who built a Sonerai 1 he claimed it is definitely not suitable for a low time tail wheel (TW) pilot and a challenge for a high time
TW pilot. I had reviewed a number of Sonerai.net threads where low time TW pilots seemed to be testifying the Sonerai was not difficult.
This experienced builder and TW pilot indicated he thought the Sonerai.net threads I referred to were likely the Sonerai 2.

I'm now considering purchasing the Sonerai 2 plans but to build the nose gear version since the tail wheel configuration appears to be a bit too spirited.

Another surprise, it appears the Sonerai may stop flying closer to 60 mph then the advertised stall speed of 40 mph for the Sonerai 1 and 45 mph for the Sonerai 2.
I was thinking one could hold off till the slower stall speeds are reached to reduce/simplify the ground handling. It appears higher touch down speeds may be the
actual reality for the Sonerai 1 airframe. I'm not sure about the Sonera 2.

I think I'm going to have to re-read the tail wheel threads to make sure I did not read what I wanted to hear. If there are any recent low time tail wheel pilots here
who can relate recent experiences flying their tail wheel Sonerai that would be helpful. Particularly older pilots. I'm a 65 year old Mooney pilot who no longer owns a
Mooney. I have decided to build for my next aircraft owning experience to keep cost down and do my own maintenance. I'm retired so plenty of time to build.
Located in Northwest Arkansas.

Last edited:
I fly a Sonerai 1 and am a few years older than you but have a couple of hundred hours of TW experience. My perspective is the TW control side of flying a Sonerai is no more difficult than a Citabria. However, the Sonerai is a very light aeroplane and if you have been flying a Mooney, then I think it would make sense to get experience flying something with a much lower mass and wing loading before flying the Sonerai. The Sonerai is a great design and a lot of fun but flying a light weight plane is a little different from flying a typical GA plane. Of course you need to be competent with TW before doing any flying a TW Sonerai.

I flew my Sonerai 2LS for the first time in Oct. Over the last two years I logged 27 hours in a Piper L4 , mostly with an instructor. I earned my PPL years earlier in a Citabria which I thought was easier to fly than the L4 but I'm also older (60) now. I logged at least 3 hours of high-speed taxi runs in the Sonerai before I felt comfortable enough to fly. In the last month I've logged 11 hours in the Sonerai. I'd say it's not difficult to land; I'd say it's easier to land than the L4. All control inputs, aileron, elevator and rudder result in immediate response so you get a reassuring feeling that you can control the plane; you should be able to correct before things get out of hand. I'm still working on landing consistency but the plane is honest and fun to fly.

Like any TW aeroplane, make sure its rigged properly. One pilots experience can be very different from another's in the same type simply because one wasn't set up properly. Straight frame and wheel alignment etc.
Stall speed will be a factor of weight and wing forming. Keep it light and build to plans. And as you're planning to build, you can do that!!

Thank you. I've notice some of the contributors are seasoned Sonerai builders and pilots. Great to part of such a dedicated community.

Hi ?Scoootjam?,
the S1 is no problem for tailwheel pilots ...
You must remeber any plane have different characteristics.
If you have the chance to take some lessions on a Sonerai2 or on a Pitts or any other experimental taltwheel, do it and then there is no problem with S1
Very important is, build it light! Any additional pound on the plane will give you more bad characteristics...
with best regards from Germany
Juergen

Hi Juergen, Thank you for the info. That is the first I heard of additional weight being a potential for issues. Makes sense. Harder to stop motion of a larger mass.

Hi ?Scoootjam?,
the additional weight is not a problem (inside some limits), but more weight will give you less performance and when you build a S1, you want to have a performer.. ;)
With the weight near the minimum weight and a light 2400cc engine, the climb will be at 1500ft/min at 150mph, cruise may be about 190-200mph...
with best regards
Juergen

Back