• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Sonerai 1 race cowling

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

racegunz

Well the journey is complete, after 9 months of drama and frustration and around 1400.00 !!!!!! I have a new Rattray Sonerai 1 cowling in my hangar. He's probably the worst business I have ever dealt with except that in the end I did get the cowling. I argued with him when I picked it up that it was not for a Sonerai 1 because the measurements didn't match the fuse that I just bought from Ed, I didn't go too far though with that argument because I knew in my mind I never confirmed the fuse with the drawings. I just shoved the cowl in my car told him he was hard to deal with and left.
On the way home (6hr. drive) I kept looking at the cowl and told my wife that it indeed could be for a Sonerai 1 cause it sure as heck wasn't gonna fit a Sonerai 2.
Today I went to the hangar after looking at my Sonerai 1 drawings tape measure in hand. The fuse is not to plans and the cowling that came with it (been chopped up pretty well) must be a Monett, cause it sure as heck ain't a Rattray.

Long story just to say don't deal with Rattray and if you are considering buying a started project, well...... just don't.

Sorry to hear this, what exactly is causing the mismatch? Is the fuselage different in length, width, or?
Post some photos of your cowling, I'd be interested to see what you are working with.

The issue with the fuselage I purchased ,that was/is fairly complete is that station 3 and 4 are made for a fat pilot, at almost 23" the plans call for 20 5/8 across, so the cowling that came with the project has had the bottom chopped out so that it would sort-of fit. The Rattray cowl measures 21"(as it should) across where it would fasten to station 3. All of this is just for info and just for hardheads like me who wanted the old style race cowling. GreatPlains sells Sonerai 1 cowling just not the one I wanted.
I will eventually make another Sonerai fuse that the rattray cowl will go on. I bought the project sonerai basically because I wasn't sure rattray would ever really make me a cowl. The idea behing this thread is to inform all that I can to avoid dealing with Rattray.

Back