• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Sonerai 2 spinner

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darius Plank

I am mounting the cowling on my Sonerai 2 project and need spinner advise before doing so. The prop hub has a 2" x .100 shoulder for prop location. What do I look for in the way of a spinner and backplate that will show me how far back to mount the cowling from the front face of the prop hub? Thanks in advance.

Slip the back plate on the prop hub and where the flange of the back plate is, that's where the rear end of your spinner will be. Bring your cowling as close as you can. The gap on mine at the narrowest place is probably about 1/8", which I thought was pretty good, but I somehow blew the up-down alignment and my spinner stands up above the cowling a bit. But fixing that will require a firewall adjustment, which I haven't done yet (11 years later).

Ed

Slip the back plate on the prop hub and where the flange of the back plate is, that's where the rear end of your spinner will be. Bring your cowling as close as you can. The gap on mine at the narrowest place is probably about 1/8", which I thought was pretty good, but I somehow blew the up-down alignment and my spinner stands up above the cowling a bit. But fixing that will require a firewall adjustment, which I haven't done yet (11 years later).

Ed
If I place the backplate on the hub, there will be no shoulder to locate the prop. Is there a spinner plate that goes in front of the prop?

Ok, dumb questipn here. Does the prop locate off the bolts, or the shoulder on the crank hub? If off the bolts, I can just drill and ream holes in the backplate for the bolts to locate it.

The hub's raised pilot is what locates the prop. Your back plate must have a hole of the same size, centered, with just a bit of clearance so that it slips over the pilot and rests against the hub flange. The back plate is quite a bit thinner than the pilot, leaving the pilot sticking out so it can center the prop. Yes, there is another bulkhead for the front of the prop. The bolts keep it all (front bulkhead, prop, back plate, and hub) sandwiched together. Hope this helps.

Ed

The hub's raised pilot is what locates the prop. Your back plate must have a hole of the same size, centered, with just a bit of clearance so that it slips over the pilot and rests against the hub flange. The back plate is quite a bit thinner than the pilot, leaving the pilot sticking out so it can center the prop. Yes, there is another bulkhead for the front of the prop. The bolts keep it all (front bulkhead, prop, back plate, and hub) sandwiched together. Hope this helps.

Ed
It helps a lot. Here is a pic of the hub and the shoulder. Does it look correct?

Attachments

• 15872240700081512421426.jpg
    15872240700081512421426.jpg
    624.3 KB · Views: 54
It appears to me that for some reason someone has machined the centering pilot off.

Back