• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Sonerai 2 with rotax 912

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boatparamotor.fly

Hi Sonerai community, I have searched the web and gone as far as I can into the forums and found very few people putting a Rotax 912 on the Sonerai. I am building a sonerai and putting a Rotax 912 on it I’m just wondering if anyone has any pictures or drawings of an engine mount for Rotax 912 for Sonerai? New to this, and all help is appreciated!
Thanks

Hi Sonerai community, I have searched the web and gone as far as I can into the forums and found very few people putting a Rotax 912 on the Sonerai. I am building a sonerai and putting a Rotax 912 on it I’m just wondering if anyone has any pictures or drawings of an engine mount for Rotax 912 for Sonerai? New to this, and all help is appreciated!
Thanks
Yes I have seen that video
Do you know who owns the plane?

There are several 912 powered S2"s in Europe, specifically Italy and a number of Jabiru versions in NZ. For pics, advice, etc you might try Nick Furmage in NZ and see if he has info via Richmond Aviation for 912 installations. RA has built 9 Sonerais with various power plants.
[email protected]
V/R
Smokey

I've also got a Sonerai 2LS in build (finishing welding) and am strongly considering a Rotax 912. To echo the post above any help, information and/or lessons learned regarding installing and running a 912 on a Sonerai are much appreciated :).

You could consider using a Rotax 912 ring mount and make a non-removable connection from the ring to the airframe. The Rotax ring is designed to fit around the various bits of the engine. If you use the ring you are left with 4 points on the ring to attach using vibration insulators to the airframe.

There should be enough room between the ring and the firewall for the water reservoir, plumbing and voltage regulator. The distance between the firewall and the ring has to be calculated using the weight and balance data for the airframe, engine and propeller.

1590276609373.png

You could consider using a Rotax 912 ring mount and make a non-removable connection from the ring to the airframe. The Rotax ring is designed to fit around the various bits of the engine. If you use the ring you are left with 4 points on the ring to attach using vibration insulators to the airframe.

There should be enough room between the ring and the firewall for the water reservoir, plumbing and voltage regulator. The distance between the firewall and the ring has to be calculated using the weight and balance data for the airframe, engine and propeller.

View attachment 14922
Hi, do you have more pictures of your installation? I have a tread in the Sonerai 2 airframe discussion with pictures on how I installed mine. I installed the engine as close as I could to the firewall, just to get the airfilters to fit.

Jacques

Hi, do you have more pictures of your installation? I have a tread in the Sonerai 2 airframe discussion with pictures on how I installed mine. I installed the engine as close as I could to the firewall, just to get the airfilters to fit.

Jacques

I put the air filters in two boxes attached to both sides of the cowling and used SCATT ducts from the carburetors to the filter.
The engine needs to be further forward than the VW due to the lighter weight of the Rotax engine. I used that distance to increase the length of the cockpit to make it easier to get in and out.
The aircraft is designed to sit in the front seat solo so it needs a rear fuselage fuel tank to keep the CofG in the allowed range.1610916585676.png
The standard Rotax air filters fit in the box with the flange coming through the hole in the top of the airbox for the SCATT tube connection.
The hole in front of the box is for a later addition of a ram air connection to the front of the cowling.
The oil tank is behind the firewall.
The Rotax engine is a tight fit with a lot of cables and hoses connected to it. It required a lot of patience to get it all to fit and work.
In case you are wondering, the firewall is behind the forward fuselage frame and is in 3 sections held together by piano hinges.
This aircraft is complete but not flown so don't assume anything you see will work or be safe.

Back