• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Sonerai 2L handles like another aircraft?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J. Metcalfe

Hello everyone,

I am wondering what options are out there for training in an aircraft that has similar handling characteristics to the sonerai 2L. I am going to have some time in a citabria for a tailwheel endorsement/aerobatics course and would like to begin flying my sonerai shortly after that. Is there another common aircraft that I can get some training in before I take the first flight in the sonerai?

Instead of flying from the front, fly the Citabria from the rear seat. That'll prepare you for the blind takeoff and landings.
Other than that, the Sonerai is a relatively docile airplane.
Quicker on the controls than the Citabria.

Instead of flying from the front, fly the Citabria from the rear seat. That'll prepare you for the blind takeoff and landings.
Other than that, the Sonerai is a relatively docile airplane.
Quicker on the controls than the Citabria.
That's a good observation. I probably wouldn't not have thought to try that! I've been told that the only issue with the Sonerai is that it tends to drop quickly once best glide speed is reached, so not is best to utilize a fairly flat approach.

I fly the Sonerai like I do biplanes. The slipping carrier approach works well, you can see the runway the whole time.
Most airplanes will develop a sink rate below a certain speed. My Skybolt did, so does my Hiperbipe. My Stinson will as well if I let it.
I don't remember my approach speed in my old Sonerai, I seem to remember around 60 to 65.

I fly the Sonerai like I do biplanes. The slipping carrier approach works well, you can see the runway the whole time.
Most airplanes will develop a sink rate below a certain speed. My Skybolt did, so does my Hiperbipe. My Stinson will as well if I let it.
I don't remember my approach speed in my old Sonerai, I seem to remember around 60 to 65.
I was told my the pilot who sold it to me that 60, 80, and 120 were what I needed to remember. Rotate at 60, best glide at 80, and maneuver at 120. I guess I'll have to experiment to find out what it likes if those numbers aren't correct

Ditto Ed and Doug. Don't get below 80mph until over the numbers and until you're 'dialed in' and don't drag it in flat with power if it can be avoided. Back seat of a Citabria worked for me. Also get some RV time (TW preferably) just to get a feel for quicker controls.
You'll find a lot of material on this site about handling.

Back