• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Sonerai ii vs Sonerai iiL

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vrooyen1

Hi there to all.

I've been looking at the Sonerai for some time now and was wondering, apart from the obvious lower wing and bit more passenger space, what the differences are between the Sonerai II and the Sonerai IIL? I'm 6ft tall and realize that a bigger cockpit might be better but is the low wing cockpit bigger than that of the mid wing or is it only for the passenger? The mid wing looks a lot sportier than the lower wing and has a certain appeal. Are there any differences in the performance of these two aircraft or is it a matter of personal choice? The eternal question: What plane to build?

Regards,

Riaan

I am 6'3 and I do not fit in the 2. I actually owned one for about a week when I discovered that built to plans I just couldnt adapt it. The primary difference is it puts the wing spar carry thru under the natural crook in your knees where the 2 was elevated and I had difficulty getting my knees underneath it. It could be done but it was EXTREMELY uncomfortable. As it is with my setup I usually have to wear very thin shoes or I cant manipulate the rudders. I have also discovered that small variations in construction can mean a world of difference in comfort. Having experienced it, I would recommend the hightened turtledeck on any new construction. It increases visibility to a point where the pilot can actually see over the nose in the tail down attitude, and can still be comfortable for smaller pilots with a change in cushion geometry which also helps with comfort. I own 2 sonerais, the blue/white one in my photo does not have the turtleback extension and I find it a tight fit, not really suitable for long comfortable flights. It also makes a prudent pilot slightly nervous when the tail is down because the pilot cannot see over the nose while taxiing, and it has enormous blind spots. My other Sonerai is HIGHLY modified, to the point where when John Monnett found out it existed he disavowed it and would not have anything to do with it but it is highly overbuilt, well proven and comfortable to the point I can fly it for a 3.5 hour fuel load without any discomfort and have flown it for 9 hours a day with no issues. If you are like me and buy to fly, it is imperitive that you research the machine and all its nuances thoroughly. Always remember that John Denver was claimed by an unfamiliar, unforgiving aircraft. Just my 2C

Did that say Scott? It should have read Sky, dog-gonne spell check! Paint schemes look close.

Tim

I have tried to send a couple of photos but I cant seem to drag and drop into this message, but I did manage to upload a couple of photos to the gallery for you to peruse. Let me first list this disclaimer. I did not build this airplane, (not even sure if you could call it a Sonerai anymore) all the credit goes to K. Dunn in Illinois. However I have assumed all responsibility for its operation and the ongoing modifications to it. This airplane started out life as a straight 2. Some years ago, the owner/builder decided to teach his son to fly in it but his son was 6'3, same as myself and didnt fit. So he decided to tear the airplane apart and start from scratch. The fuselage was lengthened 8 inches and was structurally reinforced with more chromoly. Naturally the airplane gained weight and with the 2 of them and a bit of fuel it was lethargic for the little VW. So back to the drawing board, the VW was dropped and 100 horse was put it. (lyc or cont, I dont remember) It wasnt real successful either. Then came the Subaru. Yes gentleman that is a 2.2 Ltr Legacy motor, pumping 135 horses of Fuel injected power, through a RFI redrive and a 3 bladed Ivoprop. Mr. Dunn had many obstacles to overcome which I wont get into here, but he built a successful airplane I am proud to own. Just like all tinkerers though Its not really done but I will be working on it shortly. There are about 350 flight hours on the configuration in the photos and it has been successful. It is heavy, empty the airplane weighs just under 750 lbs, but it is flown with a 1150 gross weight and it flies at gross all the time. Yes, I do have to manage fuel load to take off, and yes it burns up quite the go juice at 7GPH. There is no mixture control as it uses a Mass Air FI system and adjusts itself. It is not any faster than a VW S2, I regularly cruise at 135/140, but most of that is because the prop loses a lot of efficiency, the airplane is larger and bulkier, and that Massive radiator hanging into the slipstream below the cowling. You will notice the cowling isnt painted, and probably wont be until I finish with what I am doing to it. Currently I am in the process of redoing the radiator. It is being faired into the bottom of the cowling with a ram air scoop so that I can reduce its footprint in the airstream and from my flight tests, if all goes well the airplane will pickup at least 10mph. I am also looking into a more efficient propeller as currently I'm losing alot of horses on it.
I have seen a bit of derogatory comments about it on this board and I have been reluctant to even acknowledge that I'm the one who owns it. If you want to flame me about it remember that Experimental is just that and Im working on my own to improve upon whats out there and learn a little in the process. In the meantime it is a working airplane and I have no problems pulling it out of the hanger and flying it any day of the week. The setup has some definate advantages as I have a 40 amp alternator, lights, rear mounted panel, and other neat systems.
If you want to know more about it PM me sometime and I will be happy to share, but thats all I have time for now.

Cheers!

Drag and drop does not work but you can click the Additional Options... link below the editor to attach pictures.

-Scott

Skywarrior.....

I guarantee you that I have been at the wrong end of more negative comments regarding my modified Sonerai. There have been negative articles written even on the Sonerai Newsletter. That Newsletter one I got me so mad that I wrote (3) reply letters...each reply letter less volatile than the previous...starting the 4th letter I realized how stupid the whole thing was. I did not send any of the letters. I did realize that I was proud of my airplane & that I was going to enjoy flying it & developed a thicker skin.

NOW you show up & rain on my parade!!! (just kidding)

Just enjoy your airplane....don't worry about what others say....but listen to the ones that have your well being at heart.

Modifying is not for the weak of heart. You have to be very carefull. Every change causes a domino of unintended other changes. Research, research, research...the chances are somebody else has done it before you....contact that person & ask them what effect positive & negative the change had. Some times you have to get help. I did using an aeronautical engineer to look at my wing change (Ribblett airfoil 15% chord) $400.00.

I always try to talk other builders out of modifying. It always adds TIME, usually adds WEIGHT, sometimes cost MONEY & often does not do the intended.

Sorry for the rant....

Ivan in Sugar Land.

lqbanotxano said:
Skywarrior.....
..... enjoy your airplane....don't worry about what others say....but listen to the ones that have your well being at heart.
Modifying is not for the weak of heart..... Sorry for the rant....
Ivan in Sugar Land.
Ditto.
-Pete

As a 50 year engineer of high performance vehicles, my advice is make only one modification at a time. If it doesn't work, it is simple to revamp. If you make 3 or four changes, you don't know which works and which hurts. But good luck with your mod's, as that's what EXPERIMENTAL means. Bill

Robin Austin in Australia built a 100hp Rotax 912 powered Sonerai 2 L, its very good fast and economical. Its most notable change is in the angle of incidence of the wing. In my 2 the lack of any incidence gave dreadful forward vision and worse on landing. My dream Sonerai would be a 2L with increased incidence, optimized as a single seater. Sweet, Cheap and economical. I also love subaru's for power, but the VW went well. I would like to get another either 1 or 2L.
Regards
Neville

Back