• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Sonerai IIL

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Lewis1

Ive got a Sonerai IIL That was flying. Im in the process of rebuilding. New Wings to start. They look rough. The fuselage has been covered (new) but modifications done to accomodate a 6’6” pilot. Im in the process of getting new plans from Sonex. And have questions: How difficult will it be to convert to a Tricycle gear vs tail dragger? Costs associated with the endorsement will limit funds for avionics.

Also, Is there a list of tools recommended?

My SIIL started as a taildragger and I converted it to a nose-wheel so my dad could fly it. It is back to the tailwheel and will stay that way. That said, if the fuselage doesn't have the sheet metal reinforcements and bushing stock welded in for attaching the main gear at the rear position then you will have to weld those in. I can tell you that in the nose wheel configuration those reinforcements go just aft of the main spar and look like like the ones forward for the tailwheel gear mounts. You may have to peel some fabric back to weld these in. All of the nose-gear components go up front and do require some welding but it is all ahead of where the fabric ends.

When you get your plans be sure to compare the attachment locations for the diagonal tubes on the sides of the fuselage. The diagonals are different for nose gear or tail wheel applications in order to handle hard landing loads. To change from one configuration to the other you may need to add structure, in addition to the mounting pads for the gear. I included the diagonals and mounting pads for both configurations. There is a small weight penalty, but I wanted the flexibility.

Back