• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Sonerai owners near Buffalo???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Matt, I'm in south central PA, not very close to you, but what do you need help with?

Ed
2LS
Going to get my plane ran thru an annual so I wanted someone to take a look and see what they would think I would have problems with. Main thing is I'm moving the throttle from the left side to the right side and would like some input on what would pass and what would not. And finally when it's time to fly someone that's actually flown a Sonerai before to maybe take it for a spin before I do.

I'm at KELM but not a candidate for help.
Too much i don't know either. :)
Just posting because it would be interesting to eventually meet other upstate owners.
Mine is the former GPXD (on this forum) though i joined the forum after purchasing it & had not known a thing about that history.
I'm gradually (with links & paperwork) trying to convince the Rochester FSDO is should qualify for US E/AB. They want to put it in exhibition because it came from a "foreign country".

smt

I'm at KELM but not a candidate for help.
Too much i don't know either. :)
Just posting because it would be interesting to eventually meet other upstate owners.
Mine is the former GPXD (on this forum) though i joined the forum after purchasing it & had not known a thing about that history.
I'm gradually (with links & paperwork) trying to convince the Rochester FSDO is should qualify for US E/AB. They want to put it in exhibition because it came from a "foreign country".

smt
I did something similar, 20 years ago, bought a S2 with Jabiru 2200 engine. I'd never flown a homebuilt before but had 700 hours and a Schreder HP-11.
in flight the learning curve was vertical. I had no idea it was modified that much, had no idea it was now that hot.
In your place I'd do what I did get 20 hours with an instructor in something like a Maule Rocket or a Stolp Starducter 2.
If any instructor will do it, buy 10 hours dual in your Sonerai.
Often the seller, checks out the buyer. Why did that not happen?
Im in eastern canada, just assembling and rigging my Sonerai this week. I have say 175 hours. I now have J3300 engine and I get 200 mph in a full throttle speed run.
I wish you well.
Bill

I'd never flown a homebuilt before but had 700 hours and a Schreder HP-11.

Only ones i have stick time in are RV4, RV6, & one of Chris Heinz models, but that was so long ago i forget. Might not have logged that 10 mins. :) No landings.

in flight the learning curve was vertical. I had no idea it was modified that much, had no idea it was now that hot.
In your place I'd do what I did get 20 hours with an instructor in something like a Maule Rocket or a Stolp Starducter 2.

Although i have not gotten in either since late last fall, i fly a C140 & a pre-war J3. Have been told the J3 is good prep for Sonerai?

If any instructor will do it, buy 10 hours dual in your Sonerai.
There are several here who might be willing, or at least willing to test fly and advise. 2 whom i would trust in anything.
But i don't believe that beyond test flying alone & then coaching, that they can instruct me in the experimental itself until the agreed (between FSDO & me) test time is flown off. A late friend/instructor/retired flight dept director test flew an S2 for another member (since sold - that builder did not have much TW time and decided not to fly it himself) and told me it "has the same good manners as a Cessna". I definitely take that with a grain of salt since his PIC TW time included lots in DC3's, and the local B17.

Often the seller, checks out the buyer. Why did that not happen?

I've posted this in the past:
https://www.lesoleil.com/1f59f1e32468c509facafbf9c44effadNice bit of flying!

Hence, the person who bought it from Gaston, that i bought it from, never flew it in 2 years though he had experience in 10 previous hot homebuilts including a couple Cassutts IIRC. My spoken French is not good, nor was his english. But we communicated ok, and the thing he most wanted to emphasize to me was that he did not trust the carburetor. He only did "high speed taxis" during the 2 years he owned it prior to me.

As i said, the hold-up does not have a lot to do with the airplane itself at this point, it is a paperwork issue which i have only pressed in a desultory fashion so far after the FSDO told me it would have to be Exhibition rather than E/AB. The canopy does not close on my head, so i will need to blow a taller one. & possibly deal with increasing the tail to compensate. None of that daunts me. Again, it's the paperwork and resistance to E/AB that is demoralizing. Just yesterday i did look up on the FAA's website the DAR's in this area and after vetting in the chapter, will reach out to one of them.

smt

Back