• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Sonerai Pronunciation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FarmAV8R

I realize this is a trivial point, but what is the official/correct pronunciation of “Sonerai”?

I’ve always pronounced it with an ‘ah’ sound at the beginning and a long ‘i’ at the end, like: Sahn•er•ī or Sän•er•ī, but then somewhere (I think it was a Fred video) I heard it pronounced with a long ‘e’ at the end: Sahn•er•ē or Sän•er•ē.

That got me to thinking about two things:
1) Is the ai-combination an ‘uh’, a long ‘a’ or a long ‘e’ sound?
2) Is the Son• at the beginning pronounced Sahn/Sän, or would it be the ‘uh’ sound, e.g. SÉ™n•, like in sun or son?

Does anyone know how John Monnett intended for it to be pronounced when he designed it?
(Yes I know, I need to spend more time getting my plane in the air and less time worrying about how to say it. LOL)

I have heard it pronounced by John Himself.
Sound this out……. SAHNN……..IRR…..RAY Heard some say SOWN….NER…RYE
Half the people in the Sonerai world do HIS name as MOW…NETT
And a bunch use the french style……MOW…..NAY
Sonerai was Developed from Sun-Ray, and Sonic-Ray, and Johns Nickname, Sunny…..
ED

Out west it makes no difference how you pronounce it......no one knows what it is until they see it. I wish I had a nickel for every time someone said " a Soner-what?"

I'm with Ed, John says Sahn er A.

When flying the Fisk arrival into Oshkosh, Its a "blue RV".

When its at Oshkosh, its a "Cassutt".

Being a "G" rated site, I can't type what I currently refer to it as ; )

mullinspsm said:
Someone needs to design a wider, fatter version and name it the "Sumori". (Sue-Mo-Rye) If your not a samurai than you may be a sumo wrestler.

We had this thread a few years back. If I remember...up up and away in your Sonerai...but Bonzai in your Sonerai. :)

then he should have spelled it Soneray

Looks to me like Sohn Er Eye

When people ask "what kinda plane is that", I tell 'em Sonerai (like bonsai). Then, they often say something like, "oh yeah, it don't look like it does in magazine adds." The first time, it took me a minute to figure out they thought its a Sonex.

The tower here in Prescott pronounces it “the RV on downwind,” or words to that effect. ✌️

I think I saw a video where John said he derived the name from Sonic Ray. I had to retrain myself.

Back