• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Sonerai wheel pants???? For sale

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Razor

Does anyone have sonerai wheel pants that will fit a 5" wheel? If so I would like to purchase hopefully with mounting bracket.
I also looking for Horner wing tips light weight.

Aircraft Spruce sells a fiberglass pant that is the Sonerai/Pitts 'style'…..for a 5.00 by 5 tire……I have a set for my Sonerai 1, they are nice quality, and light….

No, the Sonerai pants are identical to Pitts Pants, Look at Juergens , and most of the other Sonerais . Jeff Lange's are different, Jeff's are the same as I had on #77...

The only way I got Hoernerwingtip/tanks was to make them. i asked this group who wanted them a year ago, not one nibble so I caRVED FOAM, glassed the foam in and pulled out the plugs to be cannibalized for fuel tank bulkheads. Don now but so are the plugs. My only advice is to make a hotwire fram using 032 SS lockwire and start carving. 2 layers if no fuel, 3 layers of cloth if they will hole fuel. I wish you well. Bill E

Thanks bill I saw a video on making them with a hit wire. On e the molds are made they would be easy to make even out of carbon fiber.. Maybe this will be a project in the future?

For now, you'd be the only taker.
It's one thing to make some shells to be fitted/finished. But to make finished Hoerner Tip/tanks for sale. I'd say you'd need an outboard rib from each plane. Some guys made their own ribs.
Bill E

I would probably just make the tips without the addd fuel.

What is the best speed mods you can do to a sonerai? I know that some of you have cleaned up your planes really well! I'm very fi,I lure with fiberglass work so this should be a lot of fun!

There are several speed mods that have been developed my me, and others. One of them is the wing incidence change. There should bet a lot of discussion here in the archives….Ed

I did read those articles and what a great idea. I actually am changing the wing incidence on my Cessna 140. It's flying nose high and is loosing some speed. So on the Sonerai you lower the rear trailing edge of the wing to clean up the drag on the airframe?

Yes, shimming the rear spar carry thru angle down about 1/4" is easy to do, but much more than that and you have to change the angle of the front spar box, and that requires a lot of work...

I'm not aware of anyone flying faster than 200 mph. I am running 27 hp and hoping for 190 mph. With the 80 hp engine I saw 140 mph.

Jeff Lange ran 'Skye Racer ' Sonerai 1 a hair over 200 mph in the Airventure Cup Race a few (3?) years ago…His careful attention to streamlining in the cowl, gear, wheel pant area, plus a strong 2110 ?c.c. engine did the job.

Back