• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Sonerais both 1's and 2's planned for 1st flight in 2013

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhflyit

I know this has been discussed but I don't think there's a list of planes that builders plan to have flying in 2013...so I'll start one. Please add you name to the list and reply.

Matt Hurley - S2L - GP2300 w/aerocarb and electrical system - sometime in 2013

Actually, I planned to fly mine in 2009 1 year after I started building it, I have just moved the date back to 2013 ::)

Tim Kline S2L 2180 Aero carb, Electric everything.

Tim

A thought - if we copy and past we can make the list grow - here's a start.

Tim - I'm trying to set a goal and add some pressure to keep me focused!! ;)

Matt Hurley - S2L - GP2300 w/aerocarb and electrical system - sometime in 2013
Tim Kline S2L 2180 Aero carb, Electric everything.

My SII LS has been flying for 6 years, but it's in the shop now, to replace the Jabiru 2200 with a Jabiru 3300 engine @120 hp (read 125 hp). Solid lifters and higher compression deliver the extra ponies.
The big news this week is that after months of fiddling I got the new engine running, apparently perfectly. Also had the alternator repaired. It now delivers 14.3V at 35 amps. I need the extra amps for the electric carb heat for the Bing 44mm carb, which as it turns out also performs really well. I won't know about the main and needle jets until I fly it. But right now it starts with the first blade. Takes my breath away.
2013 will be a different flying year for me. My SII promises to be a different airplane. Bill E

My Sonerai IILT has flown, but not much and not by me. So after a makeover this winter I'm expecting to have it in the air in 2013. Probably in the spring, unless I get a warm winter day and have finished everything on my list.

Bill-how does electric carb heat work? Never heard of that before.
Luke

Luke
The Bing carbs that are original equipment on Jabiru engines, are available with electric carb heat for say $100 extra. There are two elements in the carb heat module. The first one is used to warm the carb for cold starts. The second one provides more heat to melt ice in the carb. Both work well.
Bing carbs are a constant depression carb: European English for there is a diaphragm controlled 2" piston that controls the size of the carb throat to suit the engine's demand for intake air. Really! Thus the velocity of intake air is constant at any RPM. Also because there is no venturi, carb ice is almost unknown. Yes. 2 fuel pumps. I do use carb heat on final but have never actually had carb ice.
So I really bought the electric carb-heat setup, for insurance but mostly for cold starting in fall and spring and other cold mornings.
Somehow once you get it running, the engine will continue to operate with both pumps off/inop.
Lastly the carb heat weighs just ounces so the weight saving is significant. No. Now that you mention it, no muffler either.
The plan is to have the whole FWF installation weigh in at 180 lbs. Empty weight 580 lbs.
Since you asked these items above are the reasons why I have a 35amp alternator.
Bill E

Matt - S2L - GP2300 w/aerocarb and electrical system - sometime in 2013
Tim - S2L 2180 Aero carb, Electric everything.
Luke - S2LT - Spring
Tom - S2LS - vw 2287 - late 2013

Where are the S1's?? ???

Luke - S2LT - Spring
JoeB - S1 1835 w/electronic ignition and fuel injection (before February, if not then late 2013)

KevinR will be flying before Christmas so he won't be on this list!

Luke - S2LT - Spring
JoeB - S1 1835 w/electronic ignition and fuel injection (before February, if not then late 2013)
Derrick Lynd - 2LS - GP2276 w/revmaster carb and electrical (maybe in late 2013)

www.lynd.net/derrick/

Engine: GP 2276
Sonerai Model: 2LS

Re: Sonerais both 1's and 2's planned for 1st flight in 2013

« Reply #9 on: Nov 28, 2012 »

Translate

Luke - S2LT - Spring
Derrick Lynd - 2LS - GP2276 w/revmaster carb and electrical (maybe in late 2013)
Kevin Ross S-1, 2180 GPAS, Revflow, Full Electric. Spring 2013

Obviously it will not be my first flight, but I have been working on some significant changes since August. I am finally adding cabin heat so flight over the winter is possible, but there is lots left to be done.

BTW, the post I made about the "Great Sonerai Hatch" was supposed to be the same as this thread. I guess I should have not used such a strange title ;)

Jeff,

I knew I'd read a thread recently but couldn't recall from where but that it went off on a bit of a tangent from the intent - thought I'd bring it back to a simple listing.
Can this thread be linked to yours to keep it all in one place?
Didn't mean to hijack your idea - :-[

Luke - S2LT - Spring
Scott Rupp- S2L- 2276 VW with SDS EM-4F and HD 32 amp alt. and starter. Spring 2013

My Sonerai II was built in 1979, so its not A 1st flight, but MY 1st flight. I'm trying to do the first flight in 2012, but not sure I will make it. Its at the airport waiting to fly, and I am taxi-ing down the runway and increasing my speed while I get comfortable with the ground handling and overcome the pilot induced oscillation.

I'm a relatively low time pilot (180-hrs) and just got my tailwheel endorsement about a month ago, so I'm taking it slow and cautious. My flight instructor and the FBO owner has been very positive and supportive with my "taking it slow" and "when I feel comfortable" 1st flight schedule. I'm also waiting for a good weather day; i.e. no high winds, gusts or crosswinds - I want to concentrate on flying the aircraft, not compensating for the wind.

I noticed last weekend that even though I had toed-in the gear, its back to bowing and spreading and riding on the inner sidewalls (that HAS to create a control issue...) so I believe its going to get loaded back up and hauled back home and go in the garage so I can pull the 1/2" gear and install a 5/8" gear.

Luke - S2LT - Spring
Robert O. - S2 - VW 1835 w/POSA and electric for nav lights and strobes - late 2012 or early 2013

Back