• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

SoneraiWorks Announcement

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soneraifred

Supporting Member
Hello everyone. Effective today, December 20, SoneraiWorks LLC is closed for business. Over the last couple of months, I’ve been talking with John Monnett about the future of the Sonerai family of airplanes, and he has decided to take them back and incorporate them into the Sonex Ltd business. The Sonerai’s are going back home. John has purchased all of my existing inventory, and will probably make the plans and components available after the first of the year. He’s also planning on some changes and upgrades as he finds the time to incorporate them. I’d like to thank all of you for your support over that last five years. It’s been fun, and I hope all of you continue to work on your airplanes, and get them flying. Then, you can hopefully have as much fun flying them as I have had with mine. Happy Holidays.

Thanks for all you've done to support the brand, Fred, and congratulations on your third retirement. John Monnett taking his baby back sounds like a good thing, given the visibility of the Sonex name. Maybe more people will be drawn to the Sonerai, which would be nice.

Ed

Thanks for keeping the line alive, and best wishes for the future. Hope to see you at OSH in the future.

Thank you for all your hard work in promoting the Sonerai. I hope the forum stays kicking. And I hope John updates the Sonerai to fit the modern waistline. Best wishes for the Holidays and the future!

Well, that explains why I never got a reply for my request for spar taper pins. Good luck to you and I look forward to Sonerai parts becoming available on the Sonex website.

Exposure alongside the Sonex community should be a huge boost to the venerable old Sonerai.

Thanks for carrying the water these last five years and all you do for the Sonerai family. Now you have more time to fly and post on the forum. What could be better?

All the best,
Chucker

Hello everyone. Effective today, December 20, SoneraiWorks LLC is closed for business. Over the last couple of months, I’ve been talking with John Monnett about the future of the Sonerai family of airplanes, and he has decided to take them back and incorporate them into the Sonex Ltd business. The Sonerai’s are going back home. John has purchased all of my existing inventory, and will probably make the plans and components available after the first of the year. He’s also planning on some changes and upgrades as he finds the time to incorporate them. I’d like to thank all of you for your support over that last five years. It’s been fun, and I hope all of you continue to work on your airplanes, and get them flying. Then, you can hopefully have as much fun flying them as I have had with mine. Happy Holidays.
Fred, this is incredible news for the Sonerai community! However, we couldn’t thank you enough for your efforts to keep this little airplane alive, well done Fred! Merry Christmas to all and to all a good flight!

Thanks for your work keeping the Sonerai brand going over the last several years, Fred, and for the help you gave me as I got started with my own Sonerai project a few months ago! BTW, I've got a wing in the jig that you built (and donated to the person I inherited this project from), ready to be skinned, so your fine work continues to reap benefits for the Sonerai community. I hope to meet you one of these days. Cheers!

Thanks for your years of service to your fellow builders. I wish you the best in whatever challenges you take on in the future, and I'll look for you and one of your airplanes Oshkosh. Let us know where you'll be so we'll know where to look for you. Have a happy holiday season and a great new year!

Larry

Many thanks, Fred, for all you have done to keep the Sonerai build experience accessible.

It may sound ungrateful to ask, but have you any idea if Sonex Ltd. intends to keep the plans available and at a cost comparable to that of your LLC?

I am personally still working up to making the financial commitment of a plans built aircraft. While the $750 Sonex A plans cost is surely an excellent investment in a long term project such as a aircraft build and far be it from me to short any designer just compensation for all the work needed to produce a reliable design. However, my station in life is such that baby still needs new shoes (as well as college tuition payments) and a $750 expenditure would push the start of such an endeavor out at least half a decade. I was attracted to the Sonerai by the idea of an inexpensive start developing skills over that time with my $80box of Wicks sale price tubing and $300 gas welding setup. Thinking Monnett had received full compensation for the Sonerai design over almost half a century, this seemed like a happy community to gradually join.
Maybe my worry is not justified, but my first thought when reading this news is that I may have missed the boat by not starting with the plans purchase instead of investing in the gear to develop gas welding chops. My worry was not reduced by going to the Sonex website and reading through the scratch build pages. No one should be criticized for taking control of of their intellectual property and monetizing it at it’s full value. I just am anxious to know whether it is necessary to restart my search for the right fit for a home built project.
With respect & best wishes, Dan

Thanks. Fred - what a cache of knowlege and resources through connections with other members!
My only regret is that 44 years after buying plans, attending the workshop in Elgin, owning a spam can, managing/flying others, finally acquiring a pre-built S2 this year and joining the forum, you decide to leave. :(

Dan - so long as this site stays up, there are a lot of unused existing plans out there. I've got 3 sets/1 unused. In fact, recently, a couple fuselages have been offered for in the same ballpark as you indicate Sonex plans cost; assuming they come with plans. Also, inflation based, I'm not sure that's hugely higher than original plans cost ca 1975; especially if they are larger format and better reproduction values (clearer) than the legal size pads of the original Sonerai plans.

FWIW, this was a general comment, not an offer to sell anything, I still may build one myself......

smt

Fred, thank you for all you've done and continue to do for the Sonerai community. I promise I'll fly my Sonerai some day (soon). I couldn't have gotten this far without you. I will continue to stay in touch with you and see you again at Oshkosh. Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! Jon

Oh wow. Thank you Fred for keeping the Sonerai alive and everything you have done to help others like me, its such a cool plane. It will be interesting to see what they do with the Sonerai. I thought John Monnett was retired? Are you still planning on going to air adventure in July? The wife, my daughter and I were planning on taking the motorhome there for the week and I would love to meet you and buy you a beer.

Hello Fred, God Bless you and all your family. Both at home and here on Sonerai.net. You have indeed been a driving force in keeping the Sonerai community alive and flying. Merry Christmas. See you at Airventure .

Fred, thanks for being a great ambassador, builder/aviator to a wonderful design! The Sonerai will complement the Sonex across the board with marketing, parts, kits and hopefully a QB S2 is in the works. A homecoming if you will....
Well done sir. 😎

V/R
Smokey

Back