• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Sonex Tail Wheel Assembly on a Sonerai

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kennyw

2nd and current "Caretaker" N994SP
Supporting Member
My original welded steel tailwheel assembly is worn out. Both forks showed small cracks on the bottom, at the welds. And the caster bushing is pretty sloppy. The axle bolt holes on the forks are elongated enough to make it impossible to clamp up the wheel axle properly.

I had a friend re-weld and beef up the forks. And, another friend is attempting to install a new pivot bushing and a couple of "hat" bushings on the axle bolt holes. But, I thought I'd look into converting to the Sonex 4" tailwheel assembly with the titanium tailwheel spring.

I purchased the tailwheel spring, just to see what it'd take to make this conversion. But, I just got an email from Sonex saying they can only sell Sonex tail springs to customers that have a Sonex builder's number.On Sonex's online store, I noticed a note on the listing for the Sonerai tail spring that the originals were limited stock. But, the titanium Sonex tail spring could be retro fitting by "sleeving" the 3/4" tubing for the tail spring mount. So,

Has anyone else been down this road?

I have 43 hours on a Sonex tailwheel and titanium spring on my 2LS

Attachments

• 20180521_203203.jpg
    20180521_203203.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 87
I wonder if a call to Sonex would fix the problem. Now that they own the rights back. For the Sonerai. May be an over sight their part.

I have had a lot of people say they had great results with the aviation product tailwheel. But that was on Aeronca aircraft and not sure how small and light of a tailwheel they offer.

May want to also see what the Whitman tailwind guys are using. It seems like Monnett stole the design from Steve Whitman. Not a surprise since they both lived and flew out of Oshkosh.

Just some thoughts to consider.

I turned up a wheel to fit a standard Maule tail wheel tire. It lifts the tail a bit. That Bit increases takeoff speed by 5 knots or more. I have the J3300 engine at 127 hp, so its' not an issue. If you have less hp, it might be.Bill E

I wonder if a call to Sonex would fix the problem. Now that they own the rights back. For the Sonerai. May be an over sight their part.

I have had a lot of people say they had great results with the aviation product tailwheel. But that was on Aeronca aircraft and not sure how small and light of a tailwheel they offer.

May want to also see what the Whitman tailwind guys are using. It seems like Monnett stole the design from Steve Whitman. Not a surprise since they both lived and flew out of Oshkosh.

Just some thoughts to consider.

I had the round bent tailwheel spring on my Sonerai break at the bend like others have had happen. I cut it off just ahead of the bend, machined a mount to put a tailwheel on and have been flying it that way ever since. I think the idea of a solid straight round rod is a good idea. The way I did mine it has the taper the original had , but I don't think straight would be a problem.

I bought some titanium tubing from Titanium Joe. The purchase went well. He's in Canada so I didn't have to import.
Bill E

McMaster-Carr sells Titanium round stock. It ain’t cheap, but you might give them a look. Also, have you considered a piece of heat treated alloy steel round stock instead of the titanium?

Is anyone selling replacement tail springs for the S1 that are the stock design?

Sonex had them listed on their web store last I heard. But, they said stock was limited. There was also something about ability to modify the Sonex tailwheel and spring for the Sonerai.

Just be aware that Sonex wants a liability waiver completed and returned before they will sell you parts.

My original welded steel tailwheel assembly is worn out. Both forks showed small cracks on the bottom, at the welds. And the caster bushing is pretty sloppy. The axle bolt holes on the forks are elongated enough to make it impossible to clamp up the wheel axle properly.

I had a friend re-weld and beef up the forks. And, another friend is attempting to install a new pivot bushing and a couple of "hat" bushings on the axle bolt holes. But, I thought I'd look into converting to the Sonex 4" tailwheel assembly with the titanium tailwheel spring.

I purchased the tailwheel spring, just to see what it'd take to make this conversion. But, I just got an email from Sonex saying they can only sell Sonex tail springs to customers that have a Sonex builder's number.On Sonex's online store, I noticed a note on the listing for the Sonerai tail spring that the originals were limited stock. But, the titanium Sonex tail spring could be retro fitting by "sleeving" the 3/4" tubing for the tail spring mount. So,

Has anyone else been down this road?
yeah , you’d think since the Sonerai has come “back home” you’d think we’d be considered part of,the “family“now

I had considered this TW upgrade for mine as well...plz. keep us posted on results. It looks a bit 'heavier' than the original unit...any measurable W&B change noted?

I'm planning on doing a new weight and balance. It is a little bit heavier than the old tailwheel set up. But, not much. I flew it today and could not tell any difference, other than ground handling. Its smoother, and rather than an instantaneous direction change, it kinda just floats through turns. Takeoffs and landings were totally normal for "light & variable" conditions.

51159744470_4cb28a3042_c.jpg

I'm planning on doing a new weight and balance. It is a little bit heavier than the old tailwheel set up. But, not much. I flew it today and could not tell any difference, other than ground handling. Its smoother, and rather than an instantaneous direction change, it kinda just floats through turns. Takeoffs and landings were totally normal for "light & variable" conditions.

51159744470_4cb28a3042_c.jpg
That is what I was hoping to hear! Thanks much for this TW upgrade report. I forgot to ask before..is this TW full-castoring? i.e..,can you can execute tighter, 90 degree taxi turns now with diff. braking? I have found the 'single control rod' stock setup, wanting on that matter, when operating on our local, PVT grass field with narrow margins for taxiway(s) onto and off of runway, around & about hangar areas...lots of shallow drainage ditches and no-go areas to see & avoid.
I must say...every time I see your bird depicted here on the forum / web, I can appreciate that it is one of the finest S2L examples out there! You, SmokeyRay and Scott P have done an outstanding job building, improving and operating this bird! 994SP is gorgeous and 'inspiring' to say the least! KUDOS and respects sir(s)!

That is what I was hoping to hear! Thanks much for this TW upgrade report. I forgot to ask before..is this TW full-castoring? i.e..,can you can execute tighter, 90 degree taxi turns now with diff. braking?...
Just to clarify: this is the API 4" single arm, full-castering tailwheel with the API 3/4 to 5/8 tapered tail spring.

The tail spring has been cut down 8" from the fat end, and further turned on a lathe to .670" maximum diameter. It fits the fuselage tube snug. But, it went home with just a light tap.

I had a machinist friend measure and drill the 5/16" hole for the fuselage bolt and the two 3/16" holes to secure the tailwheel to the tail spring.

The chains are the Maule type "compression" spring set up with sash chain and they are secured on the rudder horn through the eyelets of AN-42B eyebolts that secure the rudder cable clevis's. I mounted the AN-42Bs upside down (nut on top) so that the chains would not bind on the rudder horn.

My only concern with this set up is that the pivot post and nut on the tailwheel looks close to the rudder bottom. I was concerned that it might contact the rudder on a hard landing. But so far, with three full stall landings in variable winds there hasn't been any contact. I'm going to rub grease pencil on the bottom of the rudder and look for contact marks for awhile. But, my friend the machinist and long time pilot tells me I worry too much.

Back