• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Spar Mod Info Needed

• Thread starter UpSideDownFlyboy
  • Start date
This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
U

UpSideDownFlyboy

Hello All,
I am going to pick up a Sonerai II Original next weekend and was curious if anyone had pictures of the A wing with and without the spar mod. Also, if this plane doesn't have the spar mod done, can it be done without removing the wing skin. Since this one is the mid wing, I'm not worried about adding the extra ribs (I don't need the wing walk) but I do want the extra strength the angle adds. Any pictures or information would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Scott

Scott,

I built a "B" wing and never modified an "A" so please confirm the accuracy of what I'm about to write by contacting [email protected]. He's the expert.

The spar mod doesn't involve adding extra ribs or adding a wing walk. A "modified A wing" still has 9 ribs per side as opposed to the 11 ribs in the "B" and "S" wings. The spar mod involves adding aluminum angles to the top spar caps and aluminum angles and stiffeners to the rib connections to the main spar. The bottom skins must be peeled back to do this. I see no other way.

-Scott

Thanks for the info Scott, I'll E-Mail Fred as well and hope to be flying in another week.

Thanks!
Scott

So, the stiffeners you are talking about are things that makes the plane more rigid, aren't they? And may be this is the difference between A, B and S wing? Best REgards. Konstantin.

Here is a picture of the aluminum angle and stiffener on the rib of a B model wing.
normal_wing_26.JPG

Here is a picture of the aluminum angles on the top spar caps of a B model:
normal_wing_08.JPG

The S and modified A wings are likely similar but I don't have plans to verify this statement. In addition to the angles and stiffeners, the S wing has a different aileron counter weight, the full span piano hinges and ribs flanged in one direction.

Perhaps others may have similar pictures that they can post of an original A wing, a modified A and an S wing.

-Scott

Back