• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Starting to look like a flyable Sonerai!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes really looking good, and green was the original Sonerai color. Love it! Keep going. -Pete

P.S. N127PZ is in a great home and I am sure she will get finished and flying with Konrad. I have been looking at Barnstormers for flying airplanes and I am dying here, too many to choose from and hoping S.S. and pension checks will cover one of them. :eek:

Thanks Doug, I picked my favorite color and am glad it's working out. Originally I wanted true lime green but am happy with this color.

Thought I would play with the tailwheel pant, dont usually see one.
Will see how long it hangs on while landing on grass strips. :D

This is getting exciting..... wings are bolted in place!
Engine was started and run.
Just some finishing touches, weight and balance and some final inspections left.

;D ;D ;D

Attachments

• IMG_20190604_220718_695.jpg
    IMG_20190604_220718_695.jpg
    285.5 KB · Views: 95
Thanks Tim! I'm looking forward to getting it airborne.

A friend of mine was trying to arrange for a test pilot (retired airline captain and current crop spraying pilot) to make the re-maiden voyage (this is only a rebuild - had 70 hrs airtime before disassembly). Unfortunately he won't be available until August to fly it..... not sure if i want to wait that long!

From your experience, is the Sonerai really that squirrely to warrant having someone else check it out?
I have ~165 TT in the logbook with ~20 tailwheel hours in a Citabria, Champ, Fleet Canuck and Pacer.

I'm tempted to cautiously make circuits on a quiet evening but nervous about it as well. Any recommendations?

In my opinion no, I would get used to the ground handling by taxing around for a while, it is light on the controls and does exactly what you tell it to do, fly circles over the airport until you gather confidence that all will continue to work as it should. Do all your ground work first make sure, **** sure! that engine will not quit no matter what angle it is at. If the engine continues to run the rest including you will follow! ;)

Thank you for your opinion on this, I do appreciate it!

It is definitely the way I was thinking of getting used to flying it.... keeping close to the airport. Thankfully I will have 2 grass strips to fly out of (one E-W and the other N-S), both within 1.25 miles apart. So I'll stick to middle ground and always have an option.

The engine is running well but will still make sure there are no issues before venturing out too far.

As long as I'm flying... it doesn't matter where I go ;D 8)

Thanks again!
Myles

Thank you for the handbook on test flying, it looks very informative!
I will definitely be using it as a reference.

Good luck with your test flight... hope it comes soon! :D

Back