Stringers attacment

Help Support Sonerai.net:

stevebaldwin

Hello.
Rather than Tig welding stringer brackets to my fuselage, which I believe to have Linseed oil in the tubes . I am thinking of brazing the brackets on using Silicon bronze rods with my Tig welder .
My thinking is it uses less heat to heat the tubes to braze ,and maybe cause less problems with trapped gases in the tubes.
Has any one done this, I would be grateful for any ones thoughts.
Thank you

Elviar

Steve,

I haven't done this exact procedure, but I think you'll probably be OK brazing, but it might be good practice to drill a small remote vent hole to prevent pressure build up and blow out if you get it too hot. Then close up the vent when you're finished brazing.

n109jb

Brazing will be fine for that. You could epoxy some on for that matter. I'd just weld regardless of the oil coating inside. I had linseed oil in mine and did lots of welding when I did mods years after the initial build.

ChuckerF14

I drilled the stringer and fuselage tubing then connected them with a small roll-pin. Once the fabric is tight, I don't think the stringer will be going anywhere.

stevebaldwin

Hello.
Thank you. Elviar, n109jb, ChuckerF14, for you thoughts and interesting ideas, its given me more insight of how other members build their Sonerai.
Best wishes .
Steve .

Latest posts