• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Stringers attacment

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello.
Rather than Tig welding stringer brackets to my fuselage, which I believe to have Linseed oil in the tubes . I am thinking of brazing the brackets on using Silicon bronze rods with my Tig welder .
My thinking is it uses less heat to heat the tubes to braze ,and maybe cause less problems with trapped gases in the tubes.
Has any one done this, I would be grateful for any ones thoughts.
Thank you

Steve,

I haven't done this exact procedure, but I think you'll probably be OK brazing, but it might be good practice to drill a small remote vent hole to prevent pressure build up and blow out if you get it too hot. Then close up the vent when you're finished brazing.

Brazing will be fine for that. You could epoxy some on for that matter. I'd just weld regardless of the oil coating inside. I had linseed oil in mine and did lots of welding when I did mods years after the initial build.

Hello.
Thank you. Elviar, n109jb, ChuckerF14, for you thoughts and interesting ideas, its given me more insight of how other members build their Sonerai.
Best wishes .
Steve .

Back