• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Suggestions on straps for landing gear?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iskyfly

I finally received gear for my Sonerai 2LS. When I inherited the welded fuselage from the previous builder, he had installed the 5/16" bushings for the gear so that it could be installed with a strap on each side rather than drilling it and installing through the gear, as the plans call for. Thoughts about the wisdom of using straps to hold the gear in place rather than installing the bolts through the gear? And how would I determine the dimensions needed for the straps, if I go that route? Thanks!

If it's set up that way, I'd use radius blocks and 5/16" roll pins to hold it in position.
I did this with the Groove great on a buddies Skybolt. Keeps the gear from flexing the lower longerons.

I agree with Doug. Use the strap method. Straps were called out on the original Sonerai II. The reason that the thru bolts were used on the tricycle gear airplanes is because the is no room for the strap mounts because the gear is too close to the carry-thru box. The problem with bolting thru the gear is that when the gear flexes on a hard landing, the bolts twist the lower longerons, causing them to crack. That problem is eliminated when using the straps. The straps are made from 1/4” x 1-1/4” 4130 steel bar stock. They should be about 8-1/8” long. You’ll need to make four 5/8” thick aluminum spacers that the AN5 bolts pass thru that hold the gear in the fore/aft location. You must also drill thru the center of one strap and gear, and install an AN3 bolt or 3/16” clevis pin to resist side loads.

Thank you both for this input! I couldn't be doing this work without this forum and the folks who have walked this path before. Cheers!

And yes, Fred, I'd like to get at least enough of the 5/8" aluminum bar stock from you to do what you've suggested in your post. Feel free to contact me at 419-908-8564 and I can give you my address and make payment arrangements. Thank you!

Back