• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Tail configuration

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roving rep

I get a bit confused at times reading some of these and other forums on yaw stability. Is one config (squared) tail more stable then rounded. The designer and the few people I know that have flown them claim they are docile then I read how they are unstable in yaw and it seems like some folks think you need to be Chuck Yeager to fly one of these planes. I realize that they would be light on the controls. I primarily fly around in a Diamond 20 and it is very responsive and fast but by no means unstable. Will I have trouble transitioning to a IIL trike or should I buy some dual time in another aircraft type before hand?

You don't have to be a "Chuck Yeager" to fly a Sonerai!!!

I can only speak in reference to my Sonerai since it is the only one I have ever flown. My Sonerai has a square tail that was increased in height by 3". The turtle deck was increased by 1". I don't know if this made an impact on yaw stability but my Sonerai flies wonderfully with very little thought given to yaw while in flight. The only caveat is that I must keep my feet on the rudder pedals otherwise the ball starts to drift off center. I hear this is a common characteristic. Since there is no other place to put your feet, keeping them on the pedals is not a big deal.

My Sonerai is a pussy cat in the air but on the ground she's quick to respond to my rudder inputs. This is partly due to the direct steering of the tailwheel via the pushrod. It took a few hours to get used to this but I now think little of it and I no longer zig-zag down the runway.

I think most of the reports of Sonerais being difficult to fly come from people that have never flown one. For the people that have flown one and still think a Sonerai is hard to fly, I think there is a strong possibility that they didn't keep their bird light, straight and built to plans.

-Scott

My plane ...heavy with many deviations from the plans...yet it handles just as Scott's plane does. Air handling is responsive yet not twitchy. Ground handling...mine has direct linkage, like Scott's...you needs to follow certain procedures...or you will get in trouble.
If you look back on some of the older posts you can find more info on this subject.

Ivan from Sugar Land, Texas.

Thanks guys! That's kind of what I thought. I was trying to figure out how to rig up a yaw dampner from one of our DC-9's. Guess I'll just plan on keeping my feet on the pedals and the ball centered.

Joel in L.A. (lower Alabama)

Back