• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Tail profile

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks really nice. I think you nailed it.

I'm reconstructing mine after an accident and going for the P-51 look, although I don't think I quite got it. Hoping to fly in the spring.

Ed
2LS

I like it a lot!
Did you increase the area or height at all?

Thanks for posting a nice size picture of it - good enough to get ideas. :)

smt

I added three inches to the tail post and the area increased by probably ten percent. I also added a third rib to the rudder and used 2-1/2" rib stitches. I didn't raise the turtledeck though.

Attachments

• DSCF9045.JPG
    DSCF9045.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
I added three inches to the tail post and the area increased by probably ten percent. I also added a third rib to the rudder and used 2-1/2" rib stitches. I didn't raise the turtledeck though.
My Sonerai II is similar but I raised the post by 5", added 30& to the rudder and 40% to the fin. I needed that much because my engine at 6 cylinders is longer and has a 6" long engine mount. Without the fin and rudder mods. it was divergent.

No new posts here for over a week! So, check out the P-40 tail profile on my Sonerai II Stretch..... (Ignore the clutter..)

Elviar
That looks really good! Perfectly proportioned, visually at least. Hope it flies well. How about a full fuselage profile picture now?

Nice sandblast cabinet in back ground. Where did you ever get that?

And how does that powder coat system (box on top of sandblast cabinet) work for you?

The blast cabinet was a Kenmore clothes dryer in a previous incarnation. I'll check for a better picture.

The powder coat system (Harbor Freight) works fine for small parts, but I need a larger oven than the toaster oven I've been using.

I used the Stewart System to cover the fuselage. This is the best shot I have on hand at the moment.

Attachments

• DSCF5426.JPG
    DSCF5426.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • WeaveSealed.JPG
    WeaveSealed.JPG
    698.8 KB · Views: 0
The blast cabinet was a Kenmore clothes dryer in a previous incarnation. I'll check for a better picture.

The powder coat system (Harbor Freight) works fine for small parts, but I need a larger oven than the toaster oven I've been using.

I used the Stewart System to cover the fuselage. This is the best shot I have on hand at the moment.
When the cooktop quit working on the range in my kitchen, I moved it out to the garage to use for powder coating. So far I've only used it for a set of VW valve covers. (Not from the Sonerai, but my other Volkswagen, a Karmann Ghia convertible.) I also used the Harbor Freight gun, and got decent results for my first attempt at powder coating, but nothing I would want to put on a show car or airplane.

Thanks for all the pictures fellas, I'll be building my tailpost a bit taller and increasing fin and rudder areas so these dimensions help me out.

I might go p40 esque myself, my engine will be liquid cooled, so figured maybe I'll try to sort of do a p40 look on the sonerai since I need to find a spot for the radiator.

I'd love to do my cooling like the p51 but that isn't as simple as the rad was actually up inside the fuselage. It was more aerodynamic (it actually produced some thrust really)

So dish already - are you using an inline powerplant?
Or?
smt
Yep, inline 4 Apex. There was once one mounted up on an S2, but for some reason he took it off and threw it on something like a kitfox. I tried to get some info from him about why he took it off, but did not receive a reply.
I do believe that it will work great in a sonerai and will allow for a unique front profile. Considering the power it produces, the engine won't have to scream to have a nice cruise speed but lots of power for climbing. My mission statement for my Sonerai is a bit out of the original intention, as I want it for fast cross country since I now live about 3,000km from home, I'd like to use it on my trips. If I have a pax for the flight then I'll be pushing gross weight and I just feel it's a bit out of what the VW really wants to do, especially on a humid August day.
I really do feel like the Apex isn't that far off from a 912is install, it's just that it is new and I'll have a few things to figure out for myself.
There is a turbo 3 cylinder yamaha engine (from the sidewinder sleds and their arctic cat counterpart) on an RV9 and it sounds like with it's initial few hours they are impressed with it.

I want ADS-B in and out because of the airspace I'll have to transit, which might mean I'll have to go with the u-avionics tail beacon, so I have to think about my tail shape now in order to incorporate it. I'll probably have to make a composite "cap" for the top that also extends across the top of the rudder.

Wow! I have wondered how well that would work with a Sonerai. I have seen some impressive installs on a few STOL aircraft and the takeoffs are mere feet. You have probably seen Steve Henry’s Highlander. Hope you share the build.

The turbo Sidewinder would be interesting. Getting up to altitude plan for an oxygen install.

The turbo Sidewinder would be interesting. Getting up to altitude plan for an oxygen install.
Now that would really be a challenge getting it all packaged up.
I guess having split radiators in the cowl cheeks and the intercooler in a scoop under the engine would work, but really, with 150hp n/a on a little sonerai, you could lose 50% of your power and still be a good performer.

And thats part of why I chose this engine. If I drop a cylinder for some reason, I still have more power than a good running VW to get me down safely.
So far, the apex and skytrax combo is showing to be safe.

Actually stumbled across a deal on a really low mile sled that I hope to pick up shortly!

You may already be aware of these You Tube channels. Project 2 Aero is installing the Yamaha turbo Sidewinder engine and Project Kitfox installed the Apex engine. Both run the Skytrax adapter and provide great detail and information. You should consider starting a channel as well to share your journey.

Back