• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Tail wheel rod bolt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schmleff

Having fought with replacing my tail wheel rod, I can say that you will save yourself many headaches by breaking the AC4313 ground rules.

Weld the nut to the top of the retention tube! I inserted the bolt in from the top side before covering. I was able to get the nut off with much headache but gettin it back together has resulted in many course words and flying tools.

That was wrong, the bolt should typically come in from the top, which mine did not. It would not fit from the top without hitting things.

It now comes in from the top (after much frustration).

The bottom line is that the nut should be welded to the inside of the fuse. That way you can back the bolt out to remove the rod.

Almost done...

Because my SII has a ventral fin, the bolt is installed from the top. I use a taper punch to align the holes and gently tap it in. No spanners have flown thus far. I replaced the rod last fall. (pun)

The SII has a big plate in the back that makes this a moot point I suspect. The SI has two inspections holes not anywhere near arms reach away from the nut (or bolt).

Still, with no fabric on, its easier to weld the nut in in the long run.

indeed, replacing the tail wheel rod on my S-II proved to be much easier than I anticipated....

cheers
Hans

Back