• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Taildragger Visibility

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tls258

General Aviation news Posted this concept for blind spot taxiing. Pitts Special put a backup camera on the gear strut.
https://generalaviationnews.com/202...e=TPOA&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20210323I'm sure there are tiny wifi cameras that will link to iPad or iPhone, etc. Might help some with judging the flare. Could possibly use with a headsup display but a moderate fisheye lens with LCD screen probably more visible.

1616523354988.png1616523469916.png1616524857501.png

It may be a useful taxiing aid, but for judging the flare (or holding off), it's all about peripheral and trying to maintain that while focusing on a screen might just end in tears.

I had been contemplating this idea too and I think (Please chime in with your thoughts) I am going to put a small stripe on both sides of the canopy where the line of the runway edge appears when I am sitting in the aircraft ready to fly. This, I think, would help me hold the right attitude for landing, at least at my home airport and other airports with the same width runway. I *THINK* this will help me get the feel of the proper attitude while I learn the airplane. Any thoughts?

That isn't really necessary. You will get to where you know what attitude you need. Also, the airplane in ground effect can exceed the angle of attach it sits on the ground at and I find that the ground angle isn't really the best for landing anyway. This isn't really a problem, and in some ways actually helps when doing a "full stall" landing. I put the quotes there because you can hook the tailwheel even before the airplane stops flying. What happens is the tailwheel touches first and then the mains. It results in a firm but safe landing with no bounce because the angle of attack is lowered by the tailwheel touching first. I land this way or a full-on wheel landing. Nothing in-between. I've tried to do the perfect 3-point and it wants to bounce with that springy gear. Achieved it a few times, but more often than not got a bounce to boot.

As far as the camera, sure it would help for taxi, but the Sonerai isn't really that bad. There are a lot worse. The Sonerai skinny sloped cowl allows a very tiny s-curve to see straight down the runway, whereas other airplane's require a giant s-curve to do the same. My Kifox is that way.

Back