• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Tailwheel options

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John B

So all of the time I have on my Sonerai has been with the homemade direct link steerable tailwheel that does not have a full swivel feature. I'm thinking about doing something different and was wondering what others have done. My issue is not really being able to make a nice tight pivot on the ramp. First is a non-steerable locking tailwheel like the Haigh that can be unlocked for taxi operations. Second is the "Homebuilders Special Tailwheel" that aircraft spruce sells that is steerable and will unlock from the steering am for full swivel. They have one for rod type tailsprings. I like the current simple tailwheel with the direct steering link for easy taxiing, but it is problematic for making tight turns.

Has anyone done either and have any opinions? Or any other options people have done?

Thanks,

John Brannen

Sonex tailwheel, springs, differential braking= nice steering and tight turns

Attachments

• 20200223_231342.jpg
    20200223_231342.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 60
hi John
i have direct link. i tried springs for a very short time,i did not like it at all. it felt sluggish and with compression of springs not as much authority, (angle).
direct link also will not break lose on a high cross wind landing, full rudder. break away ( ground loop )
pull the stick back full to plant tail wheel. and power if necessary,
break one wheel, forward stick, rudder full and power it will turn on one wheel. tail wheel will skid some.
with enough power you can taxi on the mains.

I also switched from compression springs to direct steering rod. I felt there was a bit of lag in the springs that I found unnerving. Direct link is sensitive but feedback is instantaneous.

Mine has Tension springs.. that give the positive feel, along with a bit of forgiveness on hard surfaces

Well, I was given a Haigh tailwheel by a friend who has owned several Pitts airplanes over the years. I had a talk with him yesterday and he is a proponent of the locking tailwheels. He has had Pitts with the non-steerable locking tailwheel and other more "normal" tailwheels and he preferred the locking tailwheels while acknowledging that others don't like them. He now has an Extra, but still has lots of Pitts stuff. While talking he said he had one I could have. Now I have to decide if I want to try it. It mounts to a round rod so would be easy to adapt.

Sonex tailwheel, springs, differential braking= nice steering and tight turns
is the arm the same diameter as stock Sonerai tail wheel spring? Will it slide right in without changing tubing diameter?

is the arm the same diameter as stock Sonerai tail wheel spring? Will it slide right in without changing tubing diameter?

Eyeballing it it looks to be the same, but I haven't had a chance to do anything with it yet. I've been working on my Kitfox project in my spare time since the Sonerai is at the hangar and the weather is cruddy right now anyway. Not super high on my priority list at the moment. I have decided that I'm going to give it a go. Its an experimental airplane so I'm going to experiment;)

I just noticed your profile shows you are at Joliet. First flight of my Sonerai was off the turf at Joliet back in 1992. I'm now just down the road at Morris.

I just noticed your profile shows you are at Joliet. First flight of my Sonerai was off the turf at Joliet back in 1992. I'm now just down the road at Morris.
No kidding?? Small world! Maiden for me was September 23 at Hinckley,flew to its new home at JOT October 21.

Back