• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Tailwheel spring tube

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iskyfly

Can someone explain why the tailwheel spring tube on the standard gear Sonerai 2LS only has a short bolt with no lock nut, whereas the tailwheel spring for the LTS option has a bolt going all the way through the tube into a nut? I'm not understanding how my tailwheel spring will stay in the tube without a nut, since the tailwheel spring that I have is not threaded (am I supposed to do that?).

On another note, I am seriously considering converting my 2LS project to a tri-gear (haven't even mounted any gear yet), as I am a student pilot with no experience flying a taildragger and not sure I want the extra expense to learn it. I welcome input from those of you who have flown them as to the merits of each.

As always, thanks and I appreciate this community... cheers!

Mine is still the threaded spring rod. I simply do 2 things. 1. Use a spring lock washer and torque properly. 2. Use safety wire through the bolt head and wrapped around the spring to prevent the bolt from turning.

To your second point, go with the tailwheel. Yes, you'll have the additional expense to get the endorsement but that's a ways down the road. The 2LS is an easy taildragger to handle and the Sonerai with a nose wheel just doesn't have the same ramp presence. NO OFFENSE TO ANY NOSE WHEELERS! :)

My opinion,
Ed
2LS

No offense taken here, but I'll bet no F-15, F-16. or P-38 pilot ever felt any lack of ramp presence......

One food for thought, the whole nose wheel adds quite a bit of weight up front. The wheel, axle, bearings, additional structure changes in back of the firewall, not counting relocating the landing gear.

My Sonerai 2LS was equipped with both mounts. It was fairly easy to convert from nose to tail just by unbolting the mains from the forward mount and bolting to the aft position. You will need to precisely locate the frame bushings that mount the gear so they will align with the holes in the gear cross bar. Of course there will be a weight penalty. It was about 5 pounds if I remember right. I changed the configuration back and forth several times during the life of the plane, and enjoyed both configurations. Much better taxi visibility with the nose config. I designed a castering nose wheel which simplified the gear conversion. Insurance companies got a little confused about how it kept changing.

I had about 1300 landings in the tailwheel configuration (never a hint of a ground loop) and about 3000 with the nose wheel. Although, I had a friend that ground looped his Sonerai several times, on grass.

I managed to damage a tailwheel rod spring. Does anyone have a spare?
Spruce sell it as past of an assy at $250.
Bill

My Sonerai 2LS was equipped with both mounts. It was fairly easy to convert from nose to tail just by unbolting the mains from the forward mount and bolting to the aft position. You will need to precisely locate the frame bushings that mount the gear so they will align with the holes in the gear cross bar. Of course there will be a weight penalty. It was about 5 pounds if I remember right. I changed the configuration back and forth several times during the life of the plane, and enjoyed both configurations. Much better taxi visibility with the nose config. I designed a castering nose wheel which simplified the gear conversion. Insurance companies got a little confused about how it kept changing.

I had about 1300 landings in the tailwheel configuration (never a hint of a ground loop) and about 3000 with the nose wheel. Although, I had a friend that ground looped his Sonerai several times, on grass.

All great input on my questions, so thanks to all who took time to respond... cheers!

Back