• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

tapered tail wheel spring ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could use what the Sonex uses which is just a 5/8 titanium rod. My Sonerai currently has a 4130 rod. For tailwheel, you could roll your own, or use the "homebuilder tailwheel" that ACS sells.

I used an API 3/4 to 5/8" stainless tailwheel spring and a full swivel 20* single-fork 4" tailwheel.

I had to have the tailwheel spring turned down and cut to length to fit the fuselage tube. This was custom fit, requiring several trips from the hangar to the machine shop.

Part of the process involves locating the bolt holes, 1 for the spring to fuselage and 2 for the tailwheel assembly to spring. These have to be precisely located so that the tailwheel is straight up and down.

I don't think it would have turned out as nice if I didn't have a friend with a machine shop.

51156092762_c5057a3f3c_c.jpg

I used the API 20* 4" full swivel tailwheel with the API 3/4 to 5/8 spring as Kenny did. Only difference is I have a lathe and turned the rod to fit myself. Also, I have a direct link instead of springs. I am very happy with the setup. If I had to do it again, I'd drill the forward attach bolt horizontally instead of vertically (I followed the holes in the tailwheel housing.) This seems to be an area of weakness for RVs using this wheel. Response is fantastic and I get the benefit of full swivel when needed.N987EB_Tailwheel.jpg

Seems like the bracket ought to be made with an integral split clamp.
Stronger, and no penetration of the spring.
Additional benefit: user can tune position (vertical) of TW "perfectly" with minimal fuss/no machining. (other than diameter, to fit tube)

smt

I used the API 20* 4" full swivel tailwheel with the API 3/4 to 5/8 spring as Kenny did. Only difference is I have a lathe and turned the rod to fit myself. Also, I have a direct link instead of springs. I am very happy with the setup. If I had to do it again, I'd drill the forward attach bolt horizontally instead of vertically (I followed the holes in the tailwheel housing.) This seems to be an area of weakness for RVs using this wheel. Response is fantastic and I get the benefit of full swivel when needed.View attachment 15786

I was going to install an API caster on my 2L, now I have a GPAS 5” wheel ive used on grass strips. I was considering API’s 6” inch wheel and a 10 degree yoke, but I noticed you have a 20. Maybe the 20 is a better choice? Thanks , Dennis

I was going to install an API caster on my 2L, now I have a GPAS 5” wheel ive used on grass strips. I was considering API’s 6” inch wheel and a 10 degree yoke, but I noticed you have a 20. Maybe the 20 is a better choice? Thanks , Dennis

I would be interested to see how that 6 inch TW works out. I was so concerned about not changing the geometry of 4SP's ground stance, i spent a lot of time and several trips to the Machine shop to get it just right.

Last edited:
Back