• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Thanks for admission. I am Bob, a Sonerai admirer since the 80s.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RTMTech

I am Bob, a Sonerai admirer since the 80s. I purchased a set of plans and wing kit. That was about the time that Monnet was in business with the Lotus folks. Ultimately when production stopped, I sold my wing kit. I always hoped the Sonerai would come back. Finally it has. My question: Has anybody increased the range beside the tank behind the back seat? It seems possible to add a front seat tank when flying solo. Just trying to get 500 mi. legs. Another question: Are matched hole drilled skins available? That would make life easier. Thanks

My question: Has anybody increased the range beside the tank behind the back seat? It seems possible to add a front seat tank when flying solo. Just trying to get 500 mi. legs. Another question: Are matched hole drilled skins available? That would make life easier. Thanks

Not sure of capacity, but the -2 i bought has wing tanks; for some reason it seems they may only be 6 gal each. Nonetheless, with the header tank, that should add considerable range if most (all?) is useable.

As an alternative, have a set of RV3-B wings with 15gal each side. Have not yet settled on whether adapting them to the S2 will be a step i take; but the additional features are intriguing.

smt

Are you starting from scratch or do you already have a Sonerai that you want to modify?

If you are starting from scratch and using old plans, you should consider using the updated wing plans.

You can also fit wing tanks in the outboard sections of the wing. It increases the complexity, but gives you a lot more range for very little extra stress on the wings.

At cruise I burn 25L/hr. When mine was built it had 2 fuselage tanks, 6 Imperial gas for the header tank and 10 imperial for the cruise or aux tank. That might be 80 liters. It's not a lot, trust me. So I made the Hoerner wing tips and incorporated 2 ea 3.5 US gal tips tanks. Say that's 28L. So the total now is 108L at 21 L/hr for 5.4 hours. One sleeps better at night with 5 hours fuel. I've had it cruise at 180mph but not at 21 L/hr. My calculator says 22.523. Don;t think so; at 3300 rpm and 6 cylinders of 3300 CC, more like 35 Liters/hr.
Since the photo, laid up a new glas/epoxy cowling, replaced all the fabric and painted it Stewart Metallic Silver.
Bill E

I am Bob, a Sonerai admirer since the 80s. I purchased a set of plans and wing kit. That was about the time that Monnet was in business with the Lotus folks. Ultimately when production stopped, I sold my wing kit. I always hoped the Sonerai would come back. Finally it has. My question: Has anybody increased the range beside the tank behind the back seat? It seems possible to add a front seat tank when flying solo. Just trying to get 500 mi. legs. Another question: Are matched hole drilled skins available? That would make life easier. Thanks

Attachments

• Sonerai_0270.JPG
    Sonerai_0270.JPG
    163.2 KB · Views: 39
Great stuff, Let us know about your progress. Steady reports catalogue your progress and keep others motivated.
Bill E
dont know yet, finishing new motor install. 3300 jab liquid cooled heads t3-4 turbo, sensenish 64" ground adjust prop.

Back