• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

The essentials -- Newbies please read

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

splischke

Scott Plischke Sonerai IIL N994SP
I received a phone call from a prospective Sonerai builder the other day. He had the plans on hand and spent the last few weeks diligently studying them. I asked if he had also read and studied the essential reading materials to build a Sonerai. He was confused by the question and asked "what essential materials?" I consider the following essential:

• The back issues of the Sonerai Newsletter. If you don't own the 30+ years of the back issues on Compact Disc, you need to contact [email protected] to place your order. Also be sure to subscribe to the latest newsletters. They always contain interesting and informative articles - and the price is hard to beat.

• All four of Tony Bingleis' books. These books contain a collection of aircraft-building articles that the late Tony Bingelis wrote for Sport Aviation. One of his books is always found in my master library if you know what I mean :). You can purchase Tony's books from www.eaa.org.

• A copy of FAA's AC 43.13-1B Acceptable Methods, Techniques, and Practices. This AC is a great reference for anyone building or maintaining a homebuilt.

• The Polyfiber covering manual. Of course you can wait on ordering this but when the time comes to cover your aircraft, get the manual! This manual is well written, witty and highly detailed.

The Sonerai plans will not tell you how to do everything. Some will say this is an understatement. But with the essential reading materials mentioned above to fill-in the voids, you will build confidence and knowledge to safely complete your Sonerai.

And don't forget about your local EAA chapter. The members, Technical Counselors and Flight Advisers are always willing to help.

-Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back