• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

The Suberai

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azjoe

Who says it won't work?
Suburai 2 - original mid-wing - stretched
Builder: Kelly Dunn
First flight: 1978

Empty weight: 750lbs
Engine: 2212cc Subaru EJ-22; RFI belt redrive 1.8:1
Oil System: stock w/ Earl's 10-row narrow oil cooler
Fuel System: stock - redundant fuel pumps
Exhaust: 4 straight pipes - 6"
Ignition: stock - single iridium plugs
Prop: Warp Drive HP 3-blade 66" w/ tapered tips and nickle inlays - currently 16.2 deg at the tips (60")
Electrical System: stock alternator - 70amp
Batteries: 2x Li-FE 14Ah batteries. 1.5lbs each, 220CCA each

Avionics / Instrumentation
MGL V6 COM
Garmin GPSMAP 196
MGL Flight-2
Dynon D1 A.I.
Digital Water Temp
Digital Oil Temp
Digital Oil Pressure
M.A.P.
+/- G-Meter
Single EGT
E-Tune Mixture control
Sandia STX165 transponder

Performance Specs
Start roll: 1000ft
Landing Speed: 80mph
Cruise: 140mph at 19 inch/hg
Top speed: 170mph (for now)
ROC: 1500fpm

It's a work in progress. Definitely one of a kind and the ugliest plane on the ramp. Lot's of changes since I got it, and more to come.

Joe,

Which reduction drive do you have on it?

I have often thought of using an EJ22 with a turbo (from a WRX) direct drive in a plane. There is a guy with a direct drive subie in a Q2 that loves it, but like you have mentioned in the past, its heavy at around 250lbs. With the turbo and needed gak, it would be really heavy.

It's a Don Parham Rotary Flight International. Good unit for a belt drive, very durable. I haven't had it off the plane so I'm not sure what it weighs. I'll have it off soon, however, as I'm having the flywheel lightened. It weighs 22lbs and should be able to get it down to around 10lbs.

As for the redrive, I like them on car engines. I'm putting almost as much torque into my blade as my 172. I also cruise at a much lower blade RPM: 2200-2300. That also has the advantage of keeping fuel consumption down. Right now I typically burn 4.2GPH @ 140mph IAS. If I go up high I use the magic leaning knob and I can get it down to 3.9-4. Basically I just compensate for the computer's rich fuel map.

Have you looked at the SPG-3 redrive from airtrikes? I thought about replacing the belt drive with that unit. It's offset is 3.5" and looks like a well built unit. I just decided I didn't want to spend the money on that, plus a new propeller, plus reshaping the cowling ... Again.

Back