• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Thermoformed tailwheel pant

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n3480h1

Since the Sonerai is experimental, I managed to form a tailwheel pant in two halves by vacuum forming one of the engineering plastics. Its not a difficult process, but details are important. The finished pant will measure 4" wide x 10" long. Not a big fan of such things, but since I already had the material and the high tech equipment (ok it was done in my kitchen oven and drawn with a vacuum cleaner and a home made plywood box), it seemed like a simple project for a very cold day. After painting, the pant and its hardware should weigh less than 3 ounces. Because it is essentially a monocoque form, it is extremely strong.

Tom

Attachments

• Tailpant 1.JPG
    Tailpant 1.JPG
    219.5 KB · Views: 103
  • Tailpant 2.JPG
    Tailpant 2.JPG
    155.3 KB · Views: 103
Tom, Looks Cool…Is it ABS?….I have 23 year old ABS main wheel pants on my Skylite. They have finally started to embrittle, and I have had to start patching them with Epoxy glue and Fiberglass cloth…Ed

Thanks Ed. Not ABS, but similar. It requires a very specific temperature and soak time. This material is just slightly softer than ABS in its makeup, but still very stiff when formed, about like 2 plies of 6 0z. glass, but lighter weight. It is not UV resistant, so it'll get scuff sanded and a couple light coats of silver before final paint, though it will not see a lot of direct sunlight.

Part of my interest in this was because of my Skylite. Having gotten away with this project, I will form a pair for the Skylite mains, with a vertical split. Might even replace the heavy fiberglass wheelpants that came with my Sonerai project, though I would select .090 material for those, since the Sonerai should fly a bit faster than my Skylight. Fun projects, and the very low material and tooling costs appeal to my Scotch ancestry.

Tom

Back