• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Three elephants

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n3480h1

I hope I'm not the only builder here who seems to be making three parts to get one good one. For example, the threaded female part of the stabilizer jackscrew. Using my mini-lathe, I turned 1" aluminum barstock to the correct dimensions and form, drilled the .421" ID bore, and then hand threaded it. Got the tap off-axis and was rewarded with a wobbly pulley. No good. Try #2 got it much better, but the thread has to be on the same axis as the OD.

After growling all the right words and working up a thought, the solution finally became obvious. I switched to 1-1/4" barstock. First, I bored the .421 ID on the lathe, then used a tap guide to keep the tap square to the bore. Then I screwed a length of 1/2" threaded rod into the blank and secured it with a nut on each end. I chucked the assembly into the jaws on the threaded rod. With a live center on the free end, I turned the OD dimensions. I took the finished assembly out of the lathe, rested the threaded rod ends on V blocks, and set a dial indicator to the large OD. This third part displayed a TIR (Total Indicated Runout) of .0015", and about 1/2 of that number is in the normal sideplay between the male and female threads. Finally, a good part.

Tom

Tom,

I dont know if it is the norm, but it seems to be for me too, took two tries form me to get that part correct too. I made one for Pete too but I'm not sure if he had issues with it.

I did my engine baffles twice with the box style, then finally settled on the fence type, but it still took some tweeking to get it right.

It must be the norm unless your Fred or Scott. There stuff always seems to turn out Golden, unless....they just dont advertise.

Tim

Tim

I did have a slight wobble in my pulley. I drilled and threaded and male threaded rodend into the end of the threaded rod to take up the play.
-Pete

Attachments

• 100_0562.JPG
    100_0562.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 118
I see the Three Elephant Syndrome is alive and well. At least I know I am not the only one, lol. I try hard to get it right the first time, but very often as I am working on a sub-project, (or just after completing it) I get a better idea. Hmmm, I guess more focused thought before I start work might get me down to the Two Elephant Syndrome. ::)

Chew, chew, chew.

(For those of you scratching your heads after reading this obtuse thread, there was a previous post which compared building a Sonerai to a mouse eating an elephant.)

Tom

Tom

We all well know the thread, this little mouse, has been chomping for almost two years now. Would like a dose of flying to supplement the elephant.

Tim

My tactic has been to find a willing Sonerai flyer and get a ride from them, its a lot like salt and peppering your elephant.

Hi Tim,

A friend has a IIL on our field which is a pretty good performer, but I don't think I'd fit in the passenger space. There is another friend with an RV 8 on the field, and I know I'd fit into that, so I might try to get a little dual with him one day. But that's about an elephant and a half away at this point. I'm very close to making a large purchase of something with pistons, but dang, its hard to part with large chunks of cash. ;D

This weekend I got my panel lights mounted and powered up in my dining room. Looks pretty good, but then I got a better idea. Parts on on the way. I can tell you that if this latest idea works like I think it will, it will be pretty impressive - easy to make and and very affordable. As it is, the red light strip under the glareshield is very attractive on the carbon fiber. But, I think the new idea will be even better. Standby.

Tom

Back