• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Tube Notchers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used a tube cutter, hack saw and files. It may sound primitive, but it can produce a very satisfying and accurate fit with very little wasted material.

I used a bench grinder with a 1/2" thick wheel and dressed the wheel with a radius. You can get pretty close with just a pair of aviation snips cutting the fish-mouths and then the grinder to fine tune. The aviation snips work well on the 0.035 wall tube which is most common in the Sonerai.

My favorite was miter saw with abrasive wheel and radiused grinding wheel to dress cuts. With minimum practice you can get accurate and fast fits.

Building roll cages I just use a chop saw, the right angle bevels the edges just perfect. A flap wheel cleans the cuts up and in it goes!
Once I figured out the angles to put the saw for the right bevels, I wrote them down and had perfect cuts every time.

For weird joints, I would wrap a piece of paper around the tube with some excess paper extended further than the end of the tube, slide that in to where you want your tube to join, it deforms the paper enough and you sharpie the outline, then without unrolling the paper (just secure with tape) I transfer it to the piece of tube I'm installing at the right length and trim down to the outline and fine tune it. Doesn't take long and the brain doesn't have too much thinking to do.

Years ago an article in Sport Aviation, probably by Toni Bingelis, described mounting a bench grinder with a radiused wheel, as described by n109jb above, mounted on a fairly heavy but small footprint bench or table with casters so it could be rolled around the jig table. That's what I did. Cut tube with hacksaw, snip some to get approx shape, grind and file for finished fit. Being able to grind the tubes right at the place I was trying to fit them saved a LOT of steps around the shop.

Back