• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Type I Flywheel End Play

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonerainut

Hello All,

Greetings from Ohio!

I have been working on my yearly condition inspection (yeah, I'm a little late) and have noticed I can grab the propeller and move the entire crankshaft fore and aft a decent amount, probably about 0.025".

I have a Great Plains Type I 2180 with a force one prop flange.

The flange is not loose in any way, I believe the flywheel end play has loosened up since the engine was originally built. I remember when building the engine I had some difficulty setting up the ).004" end play as specified in the Great Plains manual and may have set thing up too loose and now that I have some time on the engine (about 70 hrs TT) things may have loosened up more.

Should I be concerned? I plan on calling Steve at Great Plains, but he usually vacations prior to Oshkosh so I thought I would sent this out to see if anyone else has run into this.

Thanks for any input.

Lee

I would suggest you measure it first. I think they have a tendency to feel worse then it is. That does not mean let it go and hope for the best btw ;)

Back