• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Virtual Sonerai I

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 116312

I don't have the wherewithall at the moment to build a Sonerai, so I built a virtual one using the plans I bought.

The model is done in Rhino7. (.3dm)
Each component is filed and the components are shown here in assembly files. The assembly files are very small as they have no geometry in them and are made up of the component files placed as blocks inside the assembly file.
The component files are layered by the materials used on each part.
All the components can be machined with the model as drawn. Everything will fit exactly.

The entire wing assembly is hole matched for riveting with the exception of the skin to ribs. The skin has pilot holes here and the ribs are drilled with the skins clecoed to the spars. The ribs are hole matched to the spars. The bend allowance for the rib fronts and rears is 5/64". The spars and ailerons are drawn to be done on a magnabend. The bend allowance depends on the machine and the material, and I usually define such things on the day. I then put in a hole either end of the material that serves as the witness mark for the bender to ensure the integrity of the hole matching.
As an aside, one of the real advantages of using Rhino, is that it is a surface modeller and so it enables hole matching even if the wing is distorted for washout.

The tubing is not booleaned in the files. That task is easier as an individual function (at the machine usually). The tubing is drawn as an extrusion (child) to a curve (parent). This enables the operator to change the length of any of the tubes individually. All the curves (lines mainly) have g0 functions between them ensuring that all the tubing is centred. The tubing can be unrolled to a 2D profile to be machined or printed to paper to wrap on the tubing for hand cutting the notches.

Attachments

• Sonerai shot.jpg
    Sonerai shot.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 68
  • Sonerai wireframe.jpg
    Sonerai wireframe.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 68
  • Fuselage shaded.jpg
    Fuselage shaded.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 68
  • Screen Shot 2021-02-15 at 4.57.16 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-15 at 4.57.16 pm.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 67
  • Screen Shot 2021-02-15 at 4.57.16 pm.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-02-15 at 4.57.16 pm.jpg
    317.6 KB · Views: 64
  • Screen Shot 2021-02-15 at 5.21.21 pm.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-02-15 at 5.21.21 pm.jpg
    387.6 KB · Views: 61
That is very impressive. Will be very helpful when you build. How long did that take?

Back