Wanted: Supervee Cowl for Sonerai II

Help Support Sonerai.net:

ChuckerF14

Willing to purchase outright.... but if your prop flange is not long enough for your cowl... maybe my Econovee cowl will help. If you go to my gallery, you will see that my cowl has the distributor (not so) beauty bump.

I need a longer cowl to fit my Revmaster flange. A Supervee cowl should do the trick. Otherwise, I will need to build an extension to my current cowl.

All the best,
Chucker

Soneraifred

N99FK and me at OSH
Staff member
Administrator
My fiberglass guy still has the Sonerai II SuperVee cowling mold. If you can't find a used one, let me know, and I'll see if I can get one made.

Raceair

Boy, the Supervee cowls for the Sonerai '2's are rare…. John Monnett phased out that nose shape a couple years after designing the '2'

Soneraifred

N99FK and me at OSH
Staff member
Administrator
The standard Sonerai II cowling is known as the "EV", or "Econo-Vee", cowling. It was designed to fit the short press-fit Monnett EV prop hub. The Revmaster, AeroVee, and Great Plains engines with the Force One prop hub move the prop flange further forward than the EV hub, so there ends up being a large gap between the back of the spinner and the front of the cowling. It will be necessary to fill that gap with fiberglass to make things look good. The SuperVee cowling was designed to fit the original Monnett SuperVee prop hub assembly which is even further forward than the Revmaster, AeroVee, and Force One. If you use a SuperVee cowling with one of these set ups, it will be necessary to use a spacer to get the prop out in front,of the cowling. The Revmaster, with its front mounted oil filter and taller intake manifolds will probably require modifying either cowling.

ChuckerF14

Perhaps I will do the fiberglass work on the EV. I can't see buying a new cowl then spending more money on a prop extension. It won't make my plane any faster...just put more stress on my wallet and the main bearings. :'(

If I do it right, I can probably come up with a pretty aerodynamic nose. :)

Chucker

ChuckerF14

I’m still interested in a Supervee cowl. Anyone have one they are willing to part with?

Fred, do you still have contact with the guy who owns the molds?

Soneraifred

N99FK and me at OSH
Staff member
Administrator
Chucker,
I do, but I don’t. Since I’ve sold the business back to John, I don’t want to go around him to get parts made. You might want to have a conversation with him.

ChuckerF14

Dear John,

What say ye? Any hope of Supervee cowl production? I realize that your Aerovee engines don't require the extra space.... If not, can we free-up the mold holder to produce on his own?

Maybe I am in a small club. Does anyone else need/want a Sonerai II Supervee cowling?

ATB,
Chucker

Latest posts