• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Wear on cylinders

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zalb

Hello everyone. I spotted an oil leak in the pushrods of my Revmaster 2100T and decided to pull one of the heads off. Unfortunately, I found the following scenario: the two cylinders were completely scratched. The engine has only 100 hours. Most mechanics think it could be related to excessive temperature in the cylinders. What do you think?

IMG_20200227_1420396.jpg IMG_20200227_1419529.jpg IMG_20200227_1305046.jpg

What kind of cooling baffles are you running? Are the exhaust fins included in your baffle?

I would also recommend sharing your photos with Joe Horvath at Revmaster.

[email protected]
Thanks Chucker, I have already contacted Joe but he did not give me a response.

What kind of cooling baffles are you running? Are the exhaust fins included in your baffle?
I don't know what do you mean eddy (english is not my native language). I do have cooling baffles, but I don't really know what exhaust fins are.

The area around the exhaust port has cooling passages there. They should be included in the cooling baffles. That is the hottest part of the vw head

After reading that article, it seems like the piston ring end gaps may have been too small on those piston/cylinder assemblies. Can you measure the ring end gaps? Can you post pictures of the pistons and rings?

Hopefully you'll hear from Revmaster soon.

Back