• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

wheels

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mytonic

New to the net. I built a sonerai 2 LT 30yrs ago, sold it a long time ago. I came across a local sonerai project that has been sitting for 25 years and bought it. Retiring soon and need a project. Now I need to refresh my memory and educate myself on whats new and improved. looking to get 353 questions answered, so here are the first 2. (1) where can I find the 5.00 x 5 tires and tubes that would be light weight for this bird? (2) Is the sonerai tail spring and wheel sufficient or is there a better option/ or wheel size?

Av8r,

There are quite a few options for wheels, Matco, Grove, Cleveland, Azuza. You can look all these up on Aircraft Spruce. Search Barnstormers for used equipment. I typically see a few sets a year at Oshkosh in the Flymart. As for tailwheels Spruce also has the homebuilder full swiveling tail wheel. I use that model on my plane.

There's not a lot of difference in 5.00x5 tires from a weight standpoint. There is a large variation in price. I use 6 ply rated tires because they hold up better than the 4 ply rated tires. As far as brand goes, I use Aero Trainer because they are lower priced than many of the other brands. Also, if you can, buy the "low leak" tubes. You'll be airing up the tires a lot less with them.

I'm sorry, thought you were asking about wheels. I also use the Aero Trainer wheels like Fred, but I guess I need the low leak tubes.

thanks, do you know the best place to buy them from? also going to install electric start, does anyone know if there is a case with a starter,alternator,mag set up that will fit on a sonerai? I currently have the fuselage welded for the monnett x mount

Back