• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Wing attach taper pins?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buzzypeterson

Trying to figure out what to order to attatch my wings. The builder of my plane said he used bolts instead of taper pins to attach the wings since he didn’t do the folding wing. Have any of you guys heard of using bolts?

What size bolt is it if you do? They were missing when I got the plane.

looking at my plans I don’t see the taper pins in the plans. Would any of you guys happen to know what taper pins I’d use if that’s the better option?

just need advice on how to put these wings on this bad boy.

If I had it to do over again I'd us bolts too. The taper pins are a pain.

Greg Erikson who built the original 2 seater with John Monnet told me several years ago that many people have done that because the taper pins were at one time impossible to get and there was no problem using the bolts. As a matter of fact, we were talking about it because he had bought N2MX back from whoever currently owned it and was planning to use bolts in it instead of the taper pins.

The taper pin part numbers should be listed in the hardware section of the materials list in the plans. The main spar pins are AN386-5-16A, and the rear spar pins are AN386-3-12A. Sonex Ltd. should have them. If you want to use bolts, use AN8 bolts for the mains, and AN5 bolts for the rears.

The taper pin part numbers should be listed in the hardware section of the materials list in the plans. The main spar pins are AN386-5-16A, and the rear spar pins are AN386-3-12A. Sonex Ltd. should have them. If you want to use bolts, use AN8 bolts for the mains, and AN5 bolts for the rears.
Fred...you are SO the man on this forum! We...(I)...am so glad and grateful that you are still active on this forum and always step to the plate in an expedited manner to help all of us in our need for knowledge about these unique Sonerai airplanes! THANK YOU Sir! ;-D

Back