• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Wing folding bracket parts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J. Metcalfe

Hello everyone,

I just bought a sonerai II and noticed that it has the correct parts installed in the wing and on the fuselage for the folding wing feature, but no connecting hardware! Can anyone point me in the direction of what I need to restore this function? Thanks! Pictures of existing hardware attached.

Attachments

• 20210413_183554.jpg
    20210413_183554.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 67
  • 20210413_183617.jpg
    20210413_183617.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 68
If all the brackets are there you just need an AN3 bolt, nut and washer. Pull that tube out through the root end of the wing, put it in the arm on the side of the fuselage and put a bolt in. That's it.

Hi John, I haven't gotten into my rebuild project yet, but I start in a week to 10 days. I'm not sure I got the folding wing brackets with the plane, but the square tubing for them on the plane is there. They look fairly simple to construct to make by looking at J. Metcalf's pictures, and I was wondering if the plans contained instructions for how to build them.

I looked around in the parts boxes and various pieces I got with my project plane and did not see the brackets. I am guessing the plans show how to make them, and will just fab them from scratch! G'Day form Texas

Hey John, thanks for the help! I am almost ready to dive in to my project and will hit it hard and heavy starting next week!

How much additional weight would up-sizing the parts be? I'm building the 2LS with a 2185. Do you think it would be a significant amount?

How much additional weight would up-sizing the parts be? I'm building the 2LS with a 2185. Do you think it would be a significant amount?
It shouldn't be much. It's a few hollow tunes and light brackets. I can't give you the exact numbers but based off of what I see ot shouldn't be more than 2 or 3 pounds maximum.

There is no reason to upsize the parts. They are only used for wing folding and they do not support any weight once the wing is in the folded position. Once folded, the wing spar stub will essentially be resting on the square tube welded to the fuselage side so the other parts don't do much at that point. Enlarging the parts requires a larger hole in the ribs, gussets and brackets to clear, and a larger tube welded to the side of the fuselage. Enlarge if you want but I personally think it is totally unnecessary.

Thanks guys! I was welding on the motor mounts today, and hope to hang the engine this week. I am planning out the wiring harness as well! Gonna be a busy week! I'll try to keep everybody updated. I need to decide on a paint scheme as well. Looking through the forum pics there are so many nice variations! I'll work on that later, the mechanical stuff first.

Back