• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Wooden spar Sonerai 2 - any memories?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aviacs

Sometime during the late 70's - late 80's, EAA chapter 524 at FDK sponsored fly-ins including the first weekend long RV forums, and we were invited judges at the mid-Atlantic Fly-ins some years.
At this date, it all runs together in memory, but i do recall that a gentleman, from IIRC Delaware, sometimes showed up in a wooden spar S2. I can't recall if the entire wing was wood, though in retrospect that seems most likely. He had responded to the early reports of wing failures by engineering his own spar per other fatigue-proof wooden spar acro machines.

Does anyone else recall the airplane?
Does it still exist?

This is mere idle curiosity. If i get so perverse as to change wings on my S2, it will most likely be with RV3 wings. :)
As a professional woodworker, the thought of the time to build wooden wings just daunts me. So this is mostly a historical interest.

That said, the thought of making a landing gear our of ash has always intrigued me. It could save a few lbs. be easily aerodynamically shaped, and have an internal passage built in for the brake lines. Bet it wood be worth a couple/3 knots over unfaired stock. I have knot yet hit the books to work out sections; that too seems an idle curiosity so far.

smt

Dave Smith. He had a VP1 based at Aberdeen Airpark where I had my C120 about 1974. He then built the wood mid wing Sonerai 2 maybe based at Fallston, Md. When Aberdeen AP closed I moved to Aldino-Churchville. I then got a Pitts S1C. He came into Aldino one day. His airplane was slick.... It was faster than my Pitts for sure.

Jack

So a wood wing Sonerai? Isn't that essentially a Cassutt?

Dave Smith. He had a VP1 based at Aberdeen Airpark where I had my C120 about 1974. He then built the wood mid wing Sonerai 2 maybe based at Fallston, Md. When Aberdeen AP closed I moved to Aldino-Churchville. I then got a Pitts S1C. He came into Aldino one day. His airplane was slick.... It was faster than my Pitts for sure

Thank you for posting that!
Yes, it was a 2 place, he gave YE rides, or at least rides to some kids.
Hate to ask, but by any chance was your C120 painted in an "adult beverage" themed paint scheme?
I remember one (C120) in that area, IIRC the owner was sort of hoping for some sponsorship, never heard how it worked out.

Wonder if the wood-wing S2 still exists?

smt

My C120 was stock bare AL/maroon/silver wings. Dave offered me a ride but it was a little tight even though I was only 145# back then. I seem to recall that Dave might have passed on and the airplane sat for a long time....don't know it's end or if it might have survived?

My C120 was stock bare AL/maroon/silver wings.

That sounds classy!
I do remember a polished version that was very sharp, but can't say i clearly remember the rest of the paint detail.

smt

Mine was ok but at sometime I think it was over polished through the alclad and it was almost impossible to keep bright. It would start turning white as you left a spot.

Back