• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Yamaha Rx1 Sonerai

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Countach1596

Does anyone know the status of the builder installing an RX 1 snowmobile engine? I had seen posts and pics a few years ago but never the finished product. I am going to be doing a similar install.

As far as I know, there has not been a Yamaha powered Sonerai yet. My intention is to put either the apex engine or the nytro 3 cylinder in. I'd like to use the 3 cylinder if they figure out the possible issue with the water pump impeller shaft shearing. There are benefits to running the 4 cylinder as a form of "redundancy", they will still run smoothly if you drop a cylinder, with enough power to make the Sonerai climb even.

There was a guy I was talking to on facebook that had the Apex mounted in a Soneral 2, but about a month ago I saw him post a picture of what looked like to be the same engine in a different airplane.

I have a pretty good plan in my head of what will go where etc, but those will change once I actually get to that point. I plan on the possibility of needing to make my own oil and coolant tanks to fit.

A well built (sleek) Sonerai with one of these should really buzz along in cruise.

The phazer (2 cyl) would be great in a single seater and cheaper yet to set up.

Airframe could care less about what is hanging on there nose or tail end. It all come down to weight / balance and flight limitations. If you maintain your CG then fly that rocket! Most of us will love to see your progress and results. Have fun and Stay Safe!

Here's a link to a guy selling some aviation-related Apex stuff. $$$ (~$6,000 for a runout engine with an electrical system). http://bdturnkeyengines.com/motor-mounts-apex
http://bdturnkeyengines.com/yamaha-apex
A major issue is that none of the Yamaha engines are designed for aircraft power requirements. For instance, no prop harmonic analysis or testing of effects on powertrain, crank, pistons, rods, etc. You will be the guinea pig. Not necessarily a bad thing, but I'd plan for it to fail instead of hoping that it will not. Put a BRS in it. Look for a reason not to take off instead of a reason to go for it.

While the airframe may be indifferent, or senseless, to what's up front, (it's just an engineered amalgam of tubes and stuff), a loss of power will definitely have some effects on the sensible person(s) riding that airframe down as gravity exerts its wanton ways.

Here's a site with a list of Sonex crashes by cause. Loss of power is 72%. Fatal ~20%. Meaning that 20% who lose their engine in a Sonex will die on average. So, who's a gambler?: http://www.sonexbuilders.net/accidentdatabase/

UL Power and the Rotax 912 are the most dependable light aircraft engines. Cost is about 3x an aerovee but more dependable. UL350iSA is an 130 Hp aircraft engine, easier and cheaper to maintain than a Rotax. That would make a relatively expensive but safer rocket Sonerai. With a little more weight but at 1/2 the cost of a Rotax, a Corvair would provide a dependable engine. Buy the best and cry once as one of us wisely says. Merry Christmas.

There is a whole community of Yamaha flyers. Steve Henry Flys a record holding Higlander doing amazing things with it. Teal Jenkins is building Gearboxes for 3 different Yamaha 4 stroke engines. 2 3 and 4 cyl. Some folks just don't know what they are talking about. Do your own research.

I love the fact that, although we don't always agree on the details, we always try to keep our remarks civil.
(YOU) have shown here, time and time again...that you are always eager to help...advise...and assist. YOU are a class act and 'Leader' among the Sonerai owner/pilot/builder community. Just my 2 cents and observations. I've never noted you 'talking-down' to anyone here...just TRUTH...and THAT is all that REALLY matters out here. Thank you Sir!

Back